Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

moms should be frumpy

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM
  • 44 Replies

Okay not really.. but anytime someone new finds out I have 6 kids they all say the same thing... "Wow you look great for having 6 kids." 

Ummm, what am I supposed to look like?  Is there this unvoiced opinion that moms should be unfit, or overweight, or frumpy, or... what? Is there a stereotype I've missed? 

Most of the moms I know are average sized woman.. I don't know any overly obese moms. 

What exactly does that mean that I look good for having 6 kids?

I always say thank you and just move on with the conversation.  I don't really know what else to say as I don't know what they think I should look like...

Do you get comments that just make you cock your head to the side and think wtf?

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jesistar6910
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Quite the opposite:

I get "when are you due?" a lot.

But I'm working on it. (315 last Oct. Now 265)

momto3boys85
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I've gotten remarks that I look good for having three kids back to back, I just say thank you and change the conversation. 

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM

It seems to be expected that when you've had children, especially several, you'll not have thin, tight body parts (tummy, legs, etc). I thought everbody knew that.

melschlegs
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I only have one (who is a year old), and people STILL say I look great for having such a little one.  I do the same as you, but I wonder the same thing - am I SUPPOSED to be fat now?

la-cosa-nostra
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM

some women have a harder time getting their figure back, i have 2 kids, my youngest was 10 lbs and birth and i eat right and work out, but my body will never, ever look the same

MinglingMom
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I've only had one but I've had people tell me the same thing and it's only been 7 months (she was also almost 9 lbs at birth). I'm not sure what the expectation is. The people that have said it to me also don't have kids... so maybe that's it? I have no idea though.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

lovemyhoney19
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Some people tell me "you're so thin, I can't believe you just had a baby" and then my very honest 6yr old says "you look a little pregnant" lol!
Which is it damn it?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I have a lovely belly over hang and at times things will make me look pregnant. So some will ask when I am due. I just tell them sorry it is just extra belly over hang I have from all three of my beautiful girls. I love the look on there faces.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I have two teen dd's.I always get told I look and dress like I am their sister not their mother. Ok, so jeans and t-shirts are not something mom's wear?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM
I away get " YOU HAVE A 13 year old?!?! OR she look like your sister not your daughter.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)