Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Backpacks and lunch boxes for 1st graders?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

What does my 1st grader need in the way of gear? do you make your childs lunch? purchase school lunches? I will probably pack my daughters lunch but what worked best for you and your 1st grader?

Thanks!

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

DD is starting 1st this year. She has a backpack and a lunch box. I will pack her and DS lunch everyday. I let them get hot lunch at school once a week at most.

connorsmommy120
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:02 PM

She'll need a backpack, and a lunch box if you plan on packing her lunch. My son is going into 3rd grade but, I've always packed his lunch. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Thank you!  do they make smaller backpacks for smaller kids? I haven't had to do any of this yet,lol.. What brands of gear have worked best for you and your son?

Quoting connorsmommy120:

She'll need a backpack, and a lunch box if you plan on packing her lunch. My son is going into 3rd grade but, I've always packed his lunch. 

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:18 PM

This is the one my oldest ( going into 2nd grade) has: 

Jartop Fresh Raspberry

She used it last year as well. Hers is actually more of a purple color. I got it on clearance for $19. The one above is $22. She has a lunch bag with an L on it that we got at GardenRidge for her lunch box. She likes buying lunch on Thursdays as it is pizza day. The other 4 days of the week, she takes her lunch. 

Her younger sister( going into K) has one similar to this one: 

Circo Pet Pals Monkey Backpack - Pink

I still have to get her a lunch box for this year as last year she was only there for 1/2 days and ate at home. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:20 PM
I cant say it enough L. L. Bean
bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Definitely a backpack.
I have no choice but to pack lunches. 2 kids, 4 lunches a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
connorsmommy120
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I remember when my son was going into 1st grade, I was a nervous wreck. (because it was all day) Didn't know what to get, or what was best. He's going into 3rd grade, and I'm still the same way. haha

They do make smaller backpacks for little kids, we've always bought the regular size ones though. Preschool through 1st grade we just bought backpacks from Meijer, or Target. Last year we bought him a Timberland one, it was originally $90.00 I think but we got it on sale for $50.00. He'll use it again this year, it still looks brand new. As far as lunch boxes go, we get him ones from Meijer or Target. They usually last all year, and even if they don't they're cheap.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you!  do they make smaller backpacks for smaller kids? I haven't had to do any of this yet,lol.. What brands of gear have worked best for you and your son?

Quoting connorsmommy120:

NotTheirMom99
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Ask them.  If my kids like what is being servd then they buy.  If they don't, then they pack.  The kids are required at our school to have backpacks.

JLS2388
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM

DD's going into first grade this year. Last year I packed  her lunch every day, it works better to pack their lunches with picky eaters. I can tell you, DD won't eat more then half of what the school cafeteria serves.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM
LL Bean Explorer is what my first grader has. It's full size but made for smaller kids. It's perfect. He also has a lunch box from them.

Lifetime warranties as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting connorsmommy120:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN