Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My in laws refuse to babysit while I am in the hosptial but they think MIL should be in the delivery room

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 220 Replies
4 moms liked this

Me and DH are about to have our 3ird child. When we had our 2and child, my in laws didn't live in the area. Now that they do, we asked if they would mind taking the kids for one of the 2 nights (3 if I labor overnight) that I will be in the hospital.  My mo is willing to take them the other night or nights and if she is scheduled to work, she will just call off. However, she doesn't want to plan on doing that for 3 nights in a row, just in case, which is why we asked the in laws. They said they really didn't want to commit to doing that so we said fine, we will make other plans, I have a friend who agreed to take a night if need be.

Now called MIL starts talking about the delivery room and a "calling tree" for when the baby is born to let people know when they can visit. Wait, so you wouldn't help watch YOUR GRANDKIDS for one night but you think you are going to be in the delivery room? Heck no. I told her that I was already set on who I wanted in the room (DH and my mom) and my grandparents are watching them while I am in labor. Then I told her that as far as the "calling tree" to let people know when they can visit, since this is number 3 meaning I will not get any rest at home, I am not going to be taking visitors in the hospital with the exception of whoever is watching the kids because obviously, I want to see my kids every day and I don't want them feeling left out.

She is pissed but what did she expect, she won't lift a finger to help but thought, with no reason to think so, that she was going to be in the delivery room and she feels that she has the right to be upset that I want the hospital time free of visitors? Then FIL texted DH that he woudl have divorced MIL if she ever DARED to treat his parents "that way". To which DH replied "oh shut up, no you wouldn't mom was a  bitch to grandma too"

I will give my MIL this, having this kind of relationship with her has shown me what NOT to do when I am a MIL.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

BUMP!

nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know why mother in laws think they have a "right" to anything. I wanted my hospital time free of visitors as well. My gramma brought our older DD down to visit her new sister and that's it.
surromama
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, that is good that you've learned how not to be. I have a few who have taught me that as well. I think you have every right to feel and do everything you said. Congratulations and good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I agree, instead of complaing that she isn't getting what she wants, maybe she should look at herself and think about what she might be doing to make me feel this way,

Quoting nocalmegan:

I don't know why mother in laws think they have a "right" to anything. I wanted my hospital time free of visitors as well. My gramma brought our older DD down to visit her new sister and that's it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Thank you

Quoting surromama:

Yes, that is good that you've learned how not to be. I have a few who have taught me that as well. I think you have every right to feel and do everything you said. Congratulations and good luck.

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Right, he would have divorced her uh huh. Sounds like they are manipulative.
TTC2Long
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM
9 moms liked this
Good for you for standing up for what you need and major high-five to your dh!!
nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:52 PM
My mother in law in crazy as shit. Extremely overbearing, nosey, and she lies. People have shut her out of their lives because of the things she says but she still doesn't want to believe its her fault. Instead everyone else is mean and we are all just terrible people.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree, instead of complaing that she isn't getting what she wants, maybe she should look at herself and think about what she might be doing to make me feel this way,

Quoting nocalmegan:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM
11 moms liked this

Really?  Why can't your husband watch your kids overnight?  I have never understood asking others to do it.  Once you have had the baby, you an handle yourself and the baby in the hospital.  Hubby goes home and takes care of the house and kids, visits with the older kids and picks you up when you need it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)