Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

$100 a week for gas AND groceries??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 63 Replies
Okay. Things have been really tight for us lately as we've been working on paying off debts and I am on maternity leave (unpaid). We went into my maternity leave with a decent savings but have been hit left and right with things that have 'come up'.

We're a family of 5- DH, myself, ds 6, dd will be 2 on Aug 4, and ds is 2.5 months (breastfed). So we have 2 lo's in diapers but dd is doing some potty learning and we cloth diaper part time to help with costs.

Through the next 3.5 weeks we're even tighter and after our expected bills, we have approx $116 a week to cover groceries, gas, and anything 'extra' at all- no treats, nothing extra for our dd's birthday (she's only turning 2 though). We spend about $40 a week on gas with no extra trips, so that leaves us with **$76** for all groceries and household items, and to cover anything that might come up.

I know its possible but I'm feeling so tired of having things be tight and then to turn around and realize its only going to get TIGHTER! I coupon like crazy already. I feel like we can't cut back any further, there's nothing else to cut!! O.o

Help! I'm majorly in need of some encouragement here!
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
girlywifey
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Sorry that things are that tight. Can you babysit for extra money?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Bump??
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Shop at the Dollar tree for paper goods, shop at aldi's for groceries, and go back to work.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM

What has been "coming up?"  Sorry, it's hard to know what direction to go with this without knowing what's eating your money.

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM
What do you buy for groceries?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I am planning on going back to work but that won't help for the next three weeks: I have to get 'medically cleared' to come off of LOA (my appt is next week), and then I'd get put on the next schedule (two weeks away), and then wouldn't get paid for another week.

Quoting Anonymous:

Shop at the Dollar tree for paper goods, shop at aldi's for groceries, and go back to work.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Go on pinterest. There's a lady who has a family of five and lives well on 20something a year. She shows how she budgets and stuff. I don't remember the name of her blog though.
i_am_no_1
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Seriously. I have a 5 ingredients or less cookbook, and with 2 pounds of hamburger, 10 pound bag of potatoes and a cheap brand of can soup, we can eat for a week om $25.

are there allergies in your family? That would make it extra hard.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM
The most recent things- We blew out two tires, our dog needed a trip to the vet (emergency)- usually our savings would cover that but we are just totally drained and haven't been able to replenish.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

What has been "coming up?"  Sorry, it's hard to know what direction to go with this without knowing what's eating your money.

Cassie2115
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Can someone carpool? My dh started doing this since he works half an hour away. He found two others to drive with so he only drives once every third week. That alone saves us $40/week when he doesnt drive. We are a family of 4, 5 in dec and our gas budget is $100/ month (does have to be adjusted if he drives twice a month) and our grocery budget is $100/month. We do get Wic for milk and bread and cereal and all that and we had stocked up on hamburger when it was on sale and have deer meat in the freezer and a garden growing. Dollar stores are great- might not be the best quality but something is better than nothing. Have you checked out the local food shelf? We have one just down the street that also gives out diapers. We haven't used it yet but it's nice to know the option is there if we need it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN