Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is the best way you save up money??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies

We make enough to pay bills, mortgage and some small family vacations, but I think is important to save, we have a small emergency fund. And we have invested in stock market.  We have set up accounts for college for our daughters.  But next year is our 15 anniversary, and DH was mentioning we should go to Europe just the two of us to celebrate.   It is nice but I wouldnt like to pay with credit... I think I would enjoy it more if the trip was paid for.  Plus I also plan on bringing my mother to care for my girls while we are there, and I would like to pay her too.

So please share ways of saving money, what has work best for you and your family?  I think our most spending money goes away in eating out.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jesistar6910
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I put $50 of every paycheck in savings. When I make purchases on my debit card I round up and then transfer the extra into savings at the end of the week. I'm putting away around 150 away each month. It's not a lot, but it is better than nothing.

kolbe73
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I put $500 away every pay day (which is once a month), we don't eat out anymore and only get stuff we absolutely need....no extras!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:13 PM

What do you mean you round up??  I do the transfer to savings every paycheck...but the round up, how does it work?  Can you give me an example please?? Thank you!

Quoting jesistar6910:

I put $50 of every paycheck in savings. When I make purchases on my debit card I round up and then transfer the extra into savings at the end of the week. I'm putting away around 150 away each month. It's not a lot, but it is better than nothing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:14 PM
We don't save money. My husband thinks his cars are more important than a roof over our head.
ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup, eating out is by far our biggest expense. We try really hard not to though.

I don't get my nails done (do them at home), don't use tanning booths, umm..in the past I've cut my own dd's hair. I don't wear makeup every single day (that saves on how often I have to buy it). Groceries are also a big expense in our home. Meal planning helps save.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:15 PM

= (  Ugh!!!  Im sorry!  That must be so frustrating!!

Quoting Anonymous:

We don't save money. My husband thinks his cars are more important than a roof over our head.

jesistar6910
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Say I go to Target and get some stuff. My total comes to $13.65, but in my checkbook I write down that I spent $15.00. So I rounded up by $1.35. That $1.35 then goes into my savings.

Quoting Anonymous:

What do you mean you round up??  I do the transfer to savings every paycheck...but the round up, how does it work?  Can you give me an example please?? Thank you!

Quoting jesistar6910:

anotherhalf
I would determine how much it will cost, divide by the number of paychecks until due, and auto transfer that amount every paycheck.
wildlilacs
1 mom liked this
Live a simple life. Cut back on wasteful spending. Make a budget.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Yes! I think our big expense is eating out!  We are a family of 5 so it does gets expensive, and even though we really enjoy it I do think we need to cut back.  The meal planning is a great idea, and I think it could help with eating healthier and loosing weight too!  Thank you!!   How do you plan your meals??

Quoting ballerina18:

Yup, eating out is by far our biggest expense. We try really hard not to though.

I don't get my nails done (do them at home), don't use tanning booths, umm..in the past I've cut my own dd's hair. I don't wear makeup every single day (that saves on how often I have to buy it). Groceries are also a big expense in our home. Meal planning helps save.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)