Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Was this racist?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 138 Replies
This morning I was taking my daughter for a walk on a pretty narrow sidewalk. In the distance I saw a large black man approaching in dark colored clothing. I quickly turned down a side street to a nice apartment complex and made a big circle before turning back around so I didn't have to go past him on the narrow sidewalk with my big stroller. I don't mind interacting with black males in public places such as the bank or the grocery store but passing one on the street when there was no one else around wasn't something I wanted to risk. We live in a medium sized southern city, in the good part of town, but we do have a couple ghettos about 10-15 miles away close to downtown.

* I guess I would have done the same if it was a sketchy looking white guy as well. I did pass a couple other guys on my walk but they were all old and walking with their wives. We recently had a woman murdered nearby as part of a gang imitation. I live in the better part of the city, about 15 miles from the ghetto downtown, but we do still have some crime and violence
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wirehangers
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

sidesplittinglaughter

KGreen75
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM

IMO, No.

I would have done the same if it were a white guy or a mexican guy.

handy0318
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM
12 moms liked this

Making negative assumptions solely based upon the color of one's skin...

...pretty much a textbook definition of racist.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM
No, I would have done the same. With any male actually. But I don't think it makes you racist. ..especially considering the area you were describing that is near by.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this
She was uncomfortable...better safe than sorry. Doesn't make her racist. Would you have kept walking towards him alone with your child?

Quoting handy0318:

Making negative assumptions soley based upon the color of one's skin...

...pretty much a textbook definition of racist.

SyllabaryBisque
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM
3 moms liked this

I would say that this is a dumb question. If you rerouted because he was a man, then no, it's not racist. If you rerouted because he was a BLACK man, then yes, it is racist. SMH... 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm slightly paranoid about men in an isolated area anyway, White, black etc. I would have avoided being alone around him anyway. I guess I'm a manist. Lol

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Racist AND sexist.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Ok. I can't figure out why him being black matters. I would probably turn too if there I was alone with any man in a shady area. I guess that makes you racist and me sexist. 

Childofares
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I think you are actually a bigot and not a racist. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)