Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Boy in a women's change room: rude reaction, wwyd?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 316 Replies

This happened a few weeks ago and the restroom post made me think. 

My son is 8 and goes into the change room with me at the pool. My husband is deployed and I have a lot of anxiety and stress, as well as not feeling comfortable with him being alone in there. There are lots of stalls with doors so most people are not changing in the open.

My son was dressed and ready to go, sitting down, while I was finishing up. A girl who was probably about 20 was changing a few feet away and was fully naked. Most women are more discrete, with towels, so he was a bit surprised. He turned and loudly whispered "Mom, she's NAKED" to me and giggled.

The girl turned around and said "What's your problem? I don't appreciate you laughing at me, and you shouldn't even be in here in the first place!" to him, while she shot him a dirty look. 

As a mom, what would you have done?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cateringtomel
by Anna_Elijah on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM
14 moms liked this
I'd agree with her.
You could have had him standing in a corner.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM
4 moms liked this
j would have said that was ruds of you please apologize to her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM
4 moms liked this

honestly, i wouldn't have left him with plain view of potentially naked women. i would have had him in the stall with me and told him to close his eyes so i could get changed....but that's just me.

i wouldn't have said anything to the woman. was she overreacting, yes but i would have just kept my mouth shut

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM
17 moms liked this

At 8, he can stand right outside, within your hearing  I think that is too old, and our gym prohibits children over age 7. 

Not to mention, your son made an inappropriate comment.  I realize he is a kid, but if he were 5, this wouldn't be a big issue.  At 8, it is. 

The girl was right to respond.  You should have him stand outside and wait for you.  He can always yell if there is a problem. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with her. At 8, he's old enough to wait outside for two minutes or you could've just gotten in the car with a coverup on and changed at home.

CheesyKitty
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Nothing. Both were rude imo.
highlandmum
by Spunky on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Do they not have family change rooms?  At 8 he is getting a little too old to be in the womens change room.  I do however understand your concern.

LilliesValley
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd told her that he's a kid and should be in his mother's care so he absolutely had a right to be there. And that she should go to a stall to change cause even grown women don't want to see her junk.

But I'm pregnant and hormonal right now too.

bunnyxlover
by hippity hop on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM

shes right though isnt she?

sarah824
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM
7 moms liked this

I would have explained to my son that his comment was innappropriate and rude. I then would have asked him to apologize to the woman, after she got dressed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)