Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kids in changing rooms/ bathrooms

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
This comes up often.
I don't understand what the big deal is. I bring my almost 8 yo boy in with me all the time.
He goes In , does his business and leaves. He has no intention of wanting to see what anyone has.
I do feel parents should be teaching their kids to be descreat in the situation. There's nothing wrong with facing a wall, if need be.
But I do highly disagree with having the 8 yo stand outside alone in a public place while parent goes in to pee.
All because of what? Some guy might get uncomfortable with a girl in the bathroom. Or vice versa.
Listen, shit happens. It's not a big deal. Most 8 yo's don't have a clue about sex... If that's what your worried about.
Truthfully- idc how uncomfortable it makes anyone feel. My son will descreatly come in with me. Probably for another year or two, if need be. Not leaving him alone outside for some sicko to snatch.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kellyjude1
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:24 AM
You cannot be too careful. I would do the same thing. I never send my son in any men's bathroom alone unless his dad is with him. Times are crazy it takes one second for something to go wrong and nothing is ever worth that chance. I could care less what anyone thinks. My son is 8 and I will take him into the women's bathroom with me if needed. Of course my son hates it but rather to be safe then sorry.
Nolanzo
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:38 AM
Absolutely. I took my son in with me until he was around ten years old. Idgaf what anyone else thinks. Not worth the risk.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm with you, but parents should teach their children (especially girls going into men's rooms) not to stare at private parts... like earlier, the girl was standing next to the urinal looking at the dude's penis's... this is just wrong imo.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:44 AM

How do you get your kid to want to do that?  My youngest at 8 flat out refused to go in the Ladies room.

I made him put his cell phone on speaker phone in his pocket and I had my phone on as well.

GrinningCheese
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:47 AM

I've stood in the doorways of mens room and explained that I have a boy in there and I tell them if someone does something just call out I'm right here. You can't see the toilets or the urinals from the doorway and the way ds and nephews were I'd hear them even with the door closed. This is why I like family restrooms or even the hanicapped ones for kids of the opposite sex.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:00 AM
He doesn't have a choice. Safety first.
There have been tes that I have let h go and stood in the Doorway. I'll talk to him th e whole time.
But on a crowed place he goes with me... If my hubby's not around.

Quoting Anonymous:

How do you get your kid to want to do that?  My youngest at 8 flat out refused to go in the Ladies room.

I made him put his cell phone on speaker phone in his pocket and I had my phone on as well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

There have been tes that I have let h go and stood in the Doorway. I'll talk to him th e whole time.

Quoting Anonymous:

How do you make him pee if he didn't want to go in there in the first place? You must have a very compliant child. Mine is independent and stubborn.  To be fair though he is uber responsible.  At 7 he could be trusted to walk the dog. keep track of his electronics and cell phone, stay in his budget on his Ipad, and empty the dishwasher with no reminder.  As well as clean his room and put his laundry away.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:11 AM
I don't. Make he pee. And he is not compliant on most things. He's getting better. Lol.
It is what it is. When he is with me he goes in with me. He doesn't have the choice to refuse.
If he doesn't like my rules, he doesn't have to do fun things with me.
I have explained about the safety thing, he gets it. He doesn't love it, but... It's not a choice.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

How do you make him pee if he didn't want to go in there in the first place? You must have a very compliant child. Mine is independent and stubborn.  To be fair though he is uber responsible.  At 7 he could be trusted to walk the dog. keep track of his electronics and cell phone, stay in his budget on his Ipad, and empty the dishwasher with no reminder.  As well as clean his room and put his laundry away.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:12 AM

It's fine until your child starts getting curious, staring, making comments, etc. That age depends on the child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:33 AM

You DO have to protect your boys - I get that as a mom with a son who at 9 is NOT ready to go into the toilets alone. But on the same token - I'm also the mom of a disabled female (21) who although LOOKS completely normal - would freak out at a boy in "her" bathroom/changeroom. And especially considering that you may THINK your 8yo looks like a 8yo; but to a stranger he could look like a 11yo. My rule is with my son, is if DH isn't with us, then DS9 and DD21 wait outside, and then I wait outside while DD goes to the bathroom, but if DD isn't there, I poke my head around, make sure that the bathroom is empty before ushering DS in. He's very complacant and will not refuse to come with me. As for changerooms - we all use stalls in our family - and we don't go swimming without DH so we don't run into the issue of DS in the changeroom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)