Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM
  • 15 Replies

I need a friend right now. 

My 3 year old son just screams, hits and throws things all day. I have to get rid of my kitten because he won't quit hitting and kicking it. My husband and I can't take him anywhere in public because he will throw himself down and scream at the top of his lungs.

I feel like I'm trapped!

Spanking, time outs, taking things away....nothing works! I thought I could handle his autism, but I can't

by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:44 PM
I've never had to deal with an autistic child so I have no advice but I'll listen if you want to vent. Hugs
Snakecharm
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:44 PM
I'm sure there are autism support forums that have people with helpful advice. So sorry your family is struggling.
hannahsmom0107
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:45 PM

oh gosh i'm so sorry. are there any support groups near you? can u get a nurse to come in and help? 

what about researching diet helps?? i hear that helps some kids

Moki75
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:45 PM

is he in any kind of behavorial or occupational therapy?

MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Is he verbal?  If not that might be part of the problem...he's frustrated.  If he's in behavorial therapy ask about ways to communicate with him...and don't forget he's three so even if he was neurotypical trantrums may be par for the course anyway.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:55 PM
I've been there. Mine is almost 8 now. And better. It's frustration. Sometimes massage or joint compression. Wrapping in blankets or forts help. It can be a fun game for them, and mommy daddy time. But also therapy.
You can handle this... It's not easy. It does get better.
Is he on meds?
We had to do a med switch b/c the ones he was on was making it worse.
Verbal or non, they have a hard time expressing their emotions . My son is very verbal, but still could express himself, and it would lead to meltdowns.
Now we say( when we see it coming) lets go talk in private. I let him talk, or cry. I don't let h scream or get angry. I tell him he can cry and be upset, but not yell and angry. I tell him I will come back when he calms down. I listen, I don't interrupt him. I let him get it out, rub his back and speak calmly and softly.
Patience, understanding. He's getting better!
i_am_no_1
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:18 PM

he's in special ed which has those things during the school year

Quoting Moki75:

is he in any kind of behavorial or occupational therapy?

i_am_no_1
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:20 PM

no meds. His pedetrician says no.

he just became verbal, but also knows asl, so communication is not a problem.

Massage used to work, but now if I try to touch him, he will hit.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've been there. Mine is almost 8 now. And better. It's frustration. Sometimes massage or joint compression. Wrapping in blankets or forts help. It can be a fun game for them, and mommy daddy time. But also therapy.
Is he on meds?
Verbal or non, they have a hard time expressing their emotions . My son is very verbal, but still could express himself, and it would lead to meltdowns.
Now we say( when we see it coming) lets go talk in private. I let him talk, or cry. I don't let h scream or get angry. I tell him he can cry and be upset, but not yell and angry. I tell him I will come back when he calms down. I listen, I don't interrupt him. I let him get it out, rub his back and speak calmly and softly.

i_am_no_1
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:25 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:37 PM
I took an old large dog crate, took the door off and covered it with blankets and pillows inside. I called it his quite calm down fort. It was his safe place. He could go there whenever and I had to leave him alone. It helped. He felt safe there and it was quite and dark so it helped to calm him.
This does not go w/o saying the years of craziness and frustration we all went thru.

What does your gut say about meds mom?
I know we like to trust doctors, but they are not always right.
Risperadol works wonders for these kids and behaviors.... In my experience.
You know what's best for your son. But this med has helped my boy do a complete turn around. And it's not forever, as they grow and mature to the point of reasoning and understanding, they can go without meds... Some times.

Quoting i_am_no_1:

no meds. His pedetrician says no.

he just became verbal, but also knows asl, so communication is not a problem.

Massage used to work, but now if I try to touch him, he will hit.

Quoting Anonymous:

Is he on meds?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)