Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

im scared of going to sleep at night.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 56 Replies
Last week, someone attempted to break into my home. They broke the glass to our window but didn't realize there was another window behind it (double pane). This happened at 4:45 in the morning. Dh was in the shower and heard a bang but thought it was one of his daughter's hitting the wall in their sleep (they do that often). As he was leaving for work, he noticed the screen to our window laying on the ground. Well, now I'm afraid to go to sleep. I haven't slept in my bed since it happened...I have been sleeping in a recliner in our living room. It's effecting my sleep habits greatly. And thankfully, my wonderful dh is sleeping in the living room with me. (We can here everythinng in the living room mainly because it is connected to our dining room. Which is where they tried to break in at.) I think I'm mostly scared because i feel like i should have been able to hear the glass break. I am pretty much blaming myself because if they had actually broken in, I would have never known. They could have hurt me, my dd, or step dds. There is so much that could have happened and now I just don't feel comfortable with myself. I guess that's my confession for the day.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofa24m29
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this
So sorry that happened to you. I hope you are able to sleep in your room soon.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:46 PM
thanks. I really hope so too.

Quoting momofa24m29:

So sorry that happened to you. I hope you are able to sleep in your room soon.
2ArfarasMom
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Do you have an alarm system? If not, I'd get one installed. Or you could get a dog. 

SageAdvice
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Get an alarm system and video surveillanceas back up. ADT etc.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Our landlord wont allow an alarm system because he doesn't want anybody drilling holes in the walls and we aren't allowed to have dogs because in the lease it says no pets.

Quoting 2ArfarasMom:

Do you have an alarm system? If not, I'd get one installed. Or you could get a dog. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Our landlord wont let us get an alarm system.

Quoting SageAdvice:

cakbr
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Since you can't get a dog nor an alarm system.... What about a gun?

Obviously going to a safety course and learning all there is should be a priority if you do get one.

I hope your anxiety gets better.
Hugs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Does your landlord know about the break-in? I see a law suit if he knows, doesn't allow an alarm, and then you get hurt.

What about motion detector lights?

Quoting Anonymous:

Our landlord wont let us get an alarm system.

Quoting SageAdvice:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Do they sell fake alarm company signs that look real? You could try to deter potential burglars with those. I'd let the landlord know about the attempted break in and try to work with him on solutions. For example, if you pay for the alarm system installation and any monthly fees, etc., as well as agree to uninstall the alarm and fix the walls when you move out if he wanted, perhaps he'd agree to an alarm? Or ask him about letting you get a dog if you pay a pet security deposit? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Time to get a gun!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Our landlord wont allow an alarm system because he doesn't want anybody drilling holes in the walls and we aren't allowed to have dogs because in the lease it says no pets.

Quoting 2ArfarasMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured