Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I love thrifting :)

I got a new dress today, that I love...and a really neat medical textbook from 1897...some of the 'science' back then was hilarious...

What are your favorite finds?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:03 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2013 at 5:44 AM
I shop Goodwill 1/2 off sale every other weekend. We have great Goodwills out here! (AZ) I honestly couldn't tell you my biggest find. Probably up in the best finds would be a French Easel for $10, and two very large canvases (about 4' x 3' I'd say) for $6 each. We've scored big on tools, electronics, power tools, books, clothes, football jerseys, baseball cards, purses, toys, baby stuff and furniture without fabrics- as I don't want bedbugs or anything creepy, we've gotten bookshelves and such at good prices though. I stay away from shoes, underwear of any sort, or anything else I'd consider a personal item. Shoes are included merely because someone else's foot groove is in the shoes and can cause damage to your feet if you wear them.
sweetboys4me
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 5:50 AM
Most my kids back to school clothes were 99 cents. I like goodwill but love the little mom and pop stores. It usually takes a little more rummaging, but that's where all the good deals are. Everything I bought was basically brand new and no one would ever know that they cost less than a buck
sweetboys4me
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 5:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Girl you don't know what you are missing out. Thrifting is fun. It's the thrill of the chase and finding the hidden gems

Quoting Sherner:

Never been to a thift store.

surromama
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 6:00 AM
We've got a few name brand items, tags still on them for a few dollars. I collect salt & pepper shakers and tea pot/pitchers and can always find unique ones. I have almost 100 now :) I also buy board games for $2, the ones in the stores for over $20 and books. Mainly Dr Suess/kids books. They cost $1, in the other stores, too expensive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mishamama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 6:03 AM
I've found lots of awesome things at Goodwill! I've found brand new clothes from baby gap, justice and Gymboree with the tags on for my girls. :)
I haven't been thrifting in a while though, so I might have to make a stop one day while I'm out.

Oooh recently a friend of mine found an American Girl doll for 6 dollars, not even the fake one, real with a bunch of clothes (not american girl clothes) but still I was sooo jealous!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2013 at 6:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Ewwww I would just think of some other woman walking around in those jeans and get grossed out. Your possessions become part of who you are so you are wearing someone else!
Quoting Doc.Mc.Lissa:

I can usually find pretty much brand new clothes for my girls at the goodwill here. And always american eagle jeans in my size, also in brand new condition, which happen to be my favorite brand of jeans!

How about the 30 woman who tried on and didn't buy that $175 pair of jeans? Or bought them wore them once and returned them?

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this
It's so neat! It's called Advanced Applied Physiology and it includes a section on Alcohol and Narcotics...it covers everything from cells to diet to all organs to 'poisoning'...

Quoting csxt99:

I like the dress you found.  It's very cute.  I would love to go through the old medical text.  That kind of stuff fascinates me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:56 AM
I love green...it's so happy :)

And that 'crap' is stuff, haha...

Quoting Anonymous:

What is all that crap in the background of your pic OP?  That dress might be cute in a different color, but that green is not cute. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Doc.Mc.Lissa
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol seriously? I wash them before they are worn. I can't justify spending $50-60 on a pair of jeans brand new, when I can find them at a thirft store, practically brand new for WAY cheaper. Its not like I'm buying used underware or shoes lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Ewwww I would just think of some other woman walking around in those jeans and get grossed out. Your possessions become part of who you are so you are wearing someone else!
Quoting Doc.Mc.Lissa:

I can usually find pretty much brand new clothes for my girls at the goodwill here. And always american eagle jeans in my size, also in brand new condition, which happen to be my favorite brand of jeans!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I love thrift shops.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)