Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

am I right or wrong?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:55 AM
  • 25 Replies
Tonight my hubby and I got in a bit of an arguement. It started when I made spaggetti for dinner, my ds has a sensitive stomach when it comes to tomato products, so I made him peanut butter and jelly instead. As I set it in front of him my mil says you spoil that boy! He is 8 years old! He should quit being a baby and eat what we eat. I say well he gets a bad belly ache and its not hard to make him a freakin sandwich. She says in my day my children ate what I made or they got there butts beat until they ate every bite. I said well I don't think its that big of a deal to do it my way. Hubby says that if they don't eat the dinner that is prepared then they just don't eat tonight.
Am I wrong to make him the sandwich? Its not that he is being picky, he has had issues since birth. Should I tell him that he must eat what is prepared or else? I do insist all 4 of my children eat at least a bite of new foods, if they don't like it then I don't make them eat it, but they do have to try a bite, and 9 times out of 10 they like it and eat more. I was forced and beaten to eat foods I detested, I still hate them and they bring very unpleasant memories up for me.
Who is right?
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RoseWay
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:58 AM
You are right.
His health comes first!

It's not about being a picky eater people... She said he's had food related health problems ever since he was born.
SkinnyWrapDiva
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:59 AM

i am that way, they eat what i make. If I know they don't like something, they still get a small serving of it and they have to eat it. On the other hand, if I knew something made their stomachs upset, I probably wouldn't make that food. 

Visit Me on Facebook! :)

Click below to check out
this Crazy Wrap Thing! 

o.O....
by Cara on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:59 AM
We have a three bite rule- if you don't like it you don't have to eat it.
I would never force my children to eat if they weren't hungry, either.

I'm on your side on this one.
MedicMommy2
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:59 AM
I make an alternative for my dd who is sensitive to a few foods. Usually a pbandj or chicken. If it is just them being picky then I don't. Sometimes I feel like making something I know the kids don't like so I will make them a different meal. I am not a short order cook but I will not force them to eat something they hate or makes them sick.

I lucked out in that they pretty much eat most foods and they have similar tastes between them so its really not a big deal.

ETA: I grew up with the if you don't like what's made make yourself a sandwich rule.
jesistar6910
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:00 AM
1 mom liked this

You parent as you see fit. If your son can't tolerate that kind of food, then he can't tolerate it.

Your MIL is just a douche.

CrossStitchMum
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:01 AM

If hes happy to eat the sandwich because he knows the other makes him feel sick then I say go for it mama!

AMRios
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Yes... If he didn't want it because he didn't like it today then no I wouldn't but he could be allergic to something in it and that is what causes the stomach ache... 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:02 AM
I agree with you. I never make my son finish his food either, my dad made us and I have to try so hard to this day to tell myself I don't HAVE to finish. And yes, it's not like you made him a 5 course meal
mkjmommy
by Brandi on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:02 AM
There are a few things I cook I don't make my children eat. And I wouldnt force them to eat something that would make their stomach hurt.
flaquitabss
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:02 AM

You are right.  You are his mother, and MIL already got a chance to do whatever she wanted with her kids.  This are yours.  You already know your son has issues with tomato sauce.  Is not about him rejecting what you are making.  So MIL needs to back off, and your husband should back you up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN