Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was born deaf!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

when i was born I had four eardrums that developed. Two in each ear. I had surgery when i was 16 months old and with a 20 percent of my hearing comming back i actually received all my hearing. Recently after i had my surgery i suffered a SIDS attack, Shocking i know infants usually suffer SIDS and sadly pass away. My mother found me blue in bed and brought me back to life. I had to learn how to walk and my left side of my body was weakend as well. My cordination was all off and i was in speech therepy until i was 12 years old. My left side of throat was paralized and to this day if i dont chew my food in to little peices i was gag myself becase of it. My problem though is and I dont know if it was because i was deaf for the first year of my life, or maybe the bullying from when i was younger cause i talked diffrently and closed myself to alot of people, but i come off very timid or i come off like a know it all or stuck up. I go off of body language alot and try not to be center of attention, but alot of people i know say i am ver standoffish when i dont see it. Is this an affect of being deaf that i dont understand what i say or do at times? I dont want to go in a whole history of what i went through as a child and infant because i dont want to be the one that is looking for sympathy or having people treat me diffrently (had too many people do that in my life).

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thetrollcat
by Meow on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:29 AM

I was born with a severe hearing loss and now I am deaf, i love being center of attention

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:31 AM

by the way if you met me today you would think i was a normal everyday person that didnt have handicaps growing up.

blackcat1o2
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:32 AM

I don't think it has anything to do with you being deaf. I used to get the same kinds of comments from people as well because I was shy and wouldn't just jump into conversations or whatever. They for whatever reason just assumed that it was because I thought I was too good for them. I think a lot of it was also because I had really good posture and it made me look confident and unapproachable. Idk, people are dumb. Don't read too much into it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:33 AM
I think everyone that's been teased goes through what you went through. I was teased a lot cause I wore glasses, was a nerd, had long hair, wore dresses and other things. I'm closed off to the world also.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:35 AM

I was born with a hole in my heart...

I was always teased for being short. :(

katemckenzie
by Kate on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:37 AM
I was born with nerve hearing loss. I'm pretty much completely deaf. I have about 15% hearing and that's only bass sounds.
I love attention. ;)
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:37 AM

I rode the little bus in school and was in special education classes all my life. I get very fustrated when i am in large groups of people and when people are talking in a group i dont know what to say. I am always afraid that if i say something it will come of wrong and i will have to deal with snarky comments or someone putting me on the spot.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think everyone that's been teased goes through what you went through. I was teased a lot cause I wore glasses, was a nerd, had long hair, wore dresses and other things. I'm closed off to the world also.

GirlWithANikon
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:39 AM

My daughter has 25% hearing in one ear and she talks very loud and some of her words are different. She also asks for many things repeated. She a little girl and not yet in school but recently people have been calling her out on it and it is making her once out going boisterous personality more reserved. Shes timid and thinks the playground kids want her not to speak because she is too loud for them. :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:44 AM

I talked loud and still do my mom is always telling me to  tone it down lol. It's hard but if it wasnt for my mom helping me everyday and being there i would be worse off then i am today. Still i mispronounce words and get frustrated when i dont understand something. Mostly i get called a know it all because i correct other's speech when i hear a word not being pronounced right because of all the speech therepy i was in.

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

My daughter has 25% hearing in one ear and she talks very loud and some of her words are different. She also asks for many things repeated. She a little girl and not yet in school but recently people have been calling her out on it and it is making her once out going boisterous personality more reserved. Shes timid and thinks the playground kids want her not to speak because she is too loud for them. :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:46 AM
I'm sorry. People are just rude. Who cares if a person is deaf or not, we are all people and should be treated the same.

The last job I had, my manager was deaf and his birth parents put him up for adoption because of it. I met his adopted parents and they were really cool. On top of that he taught me some things and we use to tease each other all the time.

Quoting Anonymous:

I rode the little bus in school and was in special education classes all my life. I get very fustrated when i am in large groups of people and when people are talking in a group i dont know what to say. I am always afraid that if i say something it will come of wrong and i will have to deal with snarky comments or someone putting me on the spot.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)