Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Fast food workers paid up to 15hr? thoughts?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 249 Replies
The battle over a living wage in Washington, D.C., will become part of a national conversation on Monday when workers from several major fast food chains go on strike.

Employees at chains like McDonald's, KFC, Burger King and Papa John's in seven cities will call for a living wage. They want to raise pay rates to $15 an hour.

They call their movement "Fast Food Forward" and the strike could last through Thursday. It comes as the District and Walmart battle over a living wage.

The retail giant has threatened to hold off plans for some of its D.C. stores if the council approves a living wage increase.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Idk what the answer is
People are rifht, minimum wage is not enough to live on, but IDK how a business could afford to pay 15 an hour
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:26 AM
18 moms liked this

If you want a 'living wage' get a career. You can't take ever crap job that needs zero education and make them pay $15 plus an hour.

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this
In-n-Out pays their staff really well (in the late 90s, starting wage was $10+ an hour) and they make plenty of money! They have good staff, too!
Bitch.please
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:28 AM
4 moms liked this
Bingo, McDonald's is for kids in high school, not an adult with a family.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you want a 'living wage' get a career. You can't take ever crap job that needs zero education and make them pay $15 plus an hour.

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:28 AM

They just won't open any of their storefronts in that area, because gods forbid they have to pay their wage slaves enough to live off of. 

Crymsm
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Oye...reminds me when gatorade went on strike when I was working at a gas station. I think I was 19 at the time but for some reason I found it funny when people asked why we had no gatorad "oh a bunch of workers are on strike" lol lasted a few months I think...can't remember.
LitNut
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I know In N Out pay their employees really well. Some of them are there for so long and start earning enough to live on. I think it would be great for workers who have been there long enough to earn that much. I wouldn't start a teenager looking for a summer job with pay that high, but maybe a single mom who needs the job to take care of her kid(s) and plans on being there as long as she can.

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:31 AM
4 moms liked this

And how do you propose people get these careers?  30-50k in student loan debt because you can't afford to pay for college because you're stuck working at minimum wage.  

It's a circular argument.  You can't better yourself without getting into massive debt (And don't even both with an associates degree if that's where you're planning to stop, no one even looks at them anymore), and you can't afford to live without accumulating that massive debt.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

that's not true..i've known many parents who had a successful McD's career with the corporation.. Key word: corporation....franchises don't pay shit

and good McDs CEO can make a six figure salary

Quoting Bitch.please:

Bingo, McDonald's is for kids in high school, not an adult with a family.

Quoting Anonymous:

Val99
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

If they wanted to make $15 an hour, they should have gone into a different profession.  

I was in Copenhagen and popped into a McDonald's to get a diet coke.  I was stunned that the cost of a Big Mac or Quarter Pounder started at the equivalent of $10 in US dollars.  Would you take your family to McDonald's if a Happy Meal was $12?  A medium fry was $6?  My diet coke (small) was over $6.  

This wasn't just the conversion rate.  It was the fact that employees were paid more so the product cost had to be higher.   Think about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)