Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Fast food workers paid up to 15hr? thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
The battle over a living wage in Washington, D.C., will become part of a national conversation on Monday when workers from several major fast food chains go on strike.

Employees at chains like McDonald's, KFC, Burger King and Papa John's in seven cities will call for a living wage. They want to raise pay rates to $15 an hour.

They call their movement "Fast Food Forward" and the strike could last through Thursday. It comes as the District and Walmart battle over a living wage.

The retail giant has threatened to hold off plans for some of its D.C. stores if the council approves a living wage increase.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Replies (21-30):
illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Lol. So you want to increase pay for unskilled labor, then pay 2x for all  goods and services? You want a $10 Big Mac and a $3 McDouble? It doesn't go both ways - cheap food does not rain from the sky while employees make decent money. 

If we start paying more for unskilled jobs, the cost of living will go up. Unskilled jobs are not meant for adults with families. It is assumed by the time you pop out kids that you have years of experience in your field and an education.

Quoting Anonymous:

I believe people who earn the wage deserve 15 an hour... THe experience alone deserves a high raise.

I don't care if its a job no one will take or people think is crap... You eat their food you pay for their services... Everyone deserves a wage where they can live comfortably... To me 7.25 is not enough.

Ms_mom_81
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM
2 moms liked this

True, but even people with no means to further their education should be able to support their family. Especially if they are working full time. Sorry. To think other wise is very disturbing.

Quoting Bitch.please:

Bingo, McDonald's is for kids in high school, not an adult with a family.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you want a 'living wage' get a career. You can't take ever crap job that needs zero education and make them pay $15 plus an hour.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:39 AM

It's a joke you want 15 dollars an hour for taking an order or bagging some fries meanwhile, educated people don't always earn that. Not to mention our police or fire fighters.

2012Rabbit12
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Getting a career cost lots of money in itself though.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Unskilled jobs were never meant to provide for a family. Adults are supposed to have a career.

Quoting 2012Rabbit12:

They have a point. You can't provide for your children or pay rent making minimum wage without the help of welfare.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:39 AM

d.c can be a very expensive place to live, i spent over a year there, some people  will live in  surounding areas like silver springs md, or wheaton and comute to work in d.c.

luckystars2012
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Scholarships, grants, federal aid. Obtaining your education before you have kids. Making smart choices.

I worked and paid for my own college degree, put myself through school, and make six figures.

Quoting LokisMama:

And how do you propose people get these careers?  30-50k in student loan debt because you can't afford to pay for college because you're stuck working at minimum wage.  

It's a circular argument.  You can't better yourself without getting into massive debt (And don't even both with an associates degree if that's where you're planning to stop, no one even looks at them anymore), and you can't afford to live without accumulating that massive debt.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you want a 'living wage' get a career. You can't take ever crap job that needs zero education and make them pay $15 plus an hour.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Are businesses responsible for poor family planning choices? That is why it is a good idea to get your education before having kids. But even those that attended college before kids still have student loan debt. That's life.
Quoting LokisMama:

And how do you propose people get these careers?  30-50k in student loan debt because you can't afford to pay for college because you're stuck working at minimum wage.  

It's a circular argument.  You can't better yourself without getting into massive debt (And don't even both with an associates degree if that's where you're planning to stop, no one even looks at them anymore), and you can't afford to live without accumulating that massive debt.

Quoting Anonymous:

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
And I went to college too and make 25k

Quoting luckystars2012:

Scholarships, grants, federal aid. Obtaining your education before you have kids. Making smart choices.

I worked and paid for my own college degree, put myself through school, and make six figures.

Quoting LokisMama:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Quoting illinoismommy83:

You think you'd learn by now from this group not to assume anything. If people work in a specific field for a certain amount of time do they not deserve a higher wage? Of course.

And working at McDonald's is not an "unskilled job" it teaches you customer service, mathematical skills (yes addition and multiplication big whoop right!?) food prep, and whatever else they do... So because you don want to sacrifice your dollar mcdouble you'd sacrifice the quality of financial life of others... Cool beans.

by illinoismommy83 Erica on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Lol. So you want to increase pay for unskilled labor, then pay 2x for all goods and services? You want a $10 Big Mac and a $3 McDouble? It doesn't go both ways - cheap food does not rain from the sky while employees make decent money.

If we start paying more for unskilled jobs, the cost of living will go up. Unskilled jobs are not meant for adults with families. It is assumed by the time you pop out kids that you have years of experience in your field and an education.

Quoting Anonymous:

I believe people who earn the wage deserve 15 an hour... THe experience alone deserves a high raise.

I don't care if its a job no one will take or people think is crap... You eat their food you pay for their services... Everyone deserves a wage where they can live comfortably... To me 7.25 is not enough.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I guess I sound heartless or whatever but I always thought those jobs were not supposed to be jobs you expect to support a family on. Some jobs pay more than others, work hard when you are younger at a lower paying job and eventually you can make more. I am 31, when I was 16 I made like 5.50 an hour at a candy store. I didn't expect to stay there and support my future family on that wage. I see those jobs, like fast food, wal mart, retail jobs etc. as being for teenagers or retirees looking for spending money. I am not knocking those jobs, I have worked retail and restaurants. I guess I grew up thinking those were jobs you moved on from. I get some people can't do that and I feel bad, but I don't see how they can pay everyone that much. I had  "real" jobs that I needed a college degree for and only made 13-14 an hour, a few years ago ( I have been stahm for 5 yrs.) So if someone at Mcd's was making more than me, when I have a degree, I'd be like what was the point of going to school? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)