Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Fast food workers paid up to 15hr? thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
The battle over a living wage in Washington, D.C., will become part of a national conversation on Monday when workers from several major fast food chains go on strike.

Employees at chains like McDonald's, KFC, Burger King and Papa John's in seven cities will call for a living wage. They want to raise pay rates to $15 an hour.

They call their movement "Fast Food Forward" and the strike could last through Thursday. It comes as the District and Walmart battle over a living wage.

The retail giant has threatened to hold off plans for some of its D.C. stores if the council approves a living wage increase.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Replies (241-249):
housewifehell
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:30 AM

DH works for Sonic in CO and makes minimum wage, hell he got called in last night at 10 pm to close the kitchen and after gas money he made $6.00 to be there and these people are trying to get 15 an hour WTF its food service we accept that he has little education and this is what he can get so we learned to live on what he makes its not hard. But in my thoughts ANYTHING that stops the sale of fast food for even a few days is a great thing so go on strike I say and see how fast there is a hundread teenagers lineing up who needs a job who will work for minimum wage. I doubt this will get very far.

Val99
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:45 PM

What type of career field were you thinking about when you selected that major?

Quoting Anonymous:

Economic and business

Quoting Val99:

I have actually looked up the unemployment statistics for college grads and they are miniscule next to high school grads.  You may want to look that up also.  

The worst issues for college grads are with those who received liberal arts degrees or subjects like English that has no real practical purpose without a masters.  I knew one guy who got a degree in philosophy and he was shocked to find that no one needed a philosopher, while everyone I know with a degree in engineering, math, or the sciences is working.  I am a hiring manager and I can't hire enough.

What is your degree in?

autodidact
by Snarknado on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:19 PM

so who works their day shifts? 

Quoting Bitch.please:

Bingo, McDonald's is for kids in high school, not an adult with a family.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you want a 'living wage' get a career. You can't take ever crap job that needs zero education and make them pay $15 plus an hour.

kailu1835
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:20 PM
That's more than most medical staff!
Bitch.please
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Does all adults have a family? I know several college students who work fast food in the day and go to school at night. Fast food wasn't intended to pay wages for a family, more like high schoolers and such.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting Bitch.please:

Quoting Anonymous:

If you want a 'living wage' get a career. You can't take ever crap job that needs zero education and make them pay $15 plus an hour.

autodidact
by Snarknado on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Do adults, not does adults. 

around here ONE PERSON can't live on FF wages. 

Quoting Bitch.please:

Does all adults have a family? I know several college students who work fast food in the day and go to school at night. Fast food wasn't intended to pay wages for a family, more like high schoolers and such.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting Bitch.please:

Quoting Anonymous:

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I wish I could pay my associates that much. Some of them deserve it for all they do and how flexible they are
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
isaacsmommy68
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I have a degree and experience and I make just over $15 an hour. If this happens, I am quitting my job to work in fast food. That way I can make the same wage and not have to use my brain!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:51 PM

15 dollars an hour! Are you serious!  Ah no.  Maybe 9 or 10 but not 15.  They don't deserve it and haven't earned it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)