Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Fast food workers paid up to 15hr? thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
The battle over a living wage in Washington, D.C., will become part of a national conversation on Monday when workers from several major fast food chains go on strike.

Employees at chains like McDonald's, KFC, Burger King and Papa John's in seven cities will call for a living wage. They want to raise pay rates to $15 an hour.

They call their movement "Fast Food Forward" and the strike could last through Thursday. It comes as the District and Walmart battle over a living wage.

The retail giant has threatened to hold off plans for some of its D.C. stores if the council approves a living wage increase.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Replies (31-40):
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
That's bullshit. I make more than $15/hr as a bookkeeper which took me 3 months of working in an office learning it. You Dont have to go into debt to learn how to do more than flip burgers. And yes people do look at associates degrees. My mother is department chair of a medical program that the average graduate earns $50k in our area and there is no bachelor's or masters in it. Sounds like YOU are the one in need of an education.

Quoting LokisMama:

And how do you propose people get these careers?  30-50k in student loan debt because you can't afford to pay for college because you're stuck working at minimum wage.  

It's a circular argument.  You can't better yourself without getting into massive debt (And don't even both with an associates degree if that's where you're planning to stop, no one even looks at them anymore), and you can't afford to live without accumulating that massive debt.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you want a 'living wage' get a career. You can't take ever crap job that needs zero education and make them pay $15 plus an hour.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:48 AM
2 moms liked this
It's hilarious how many people scream that people on PA just need to get jobs, like they're so easy to find, and usually follow that with, "McDonald's is always hiring!" And then you get a job in fast food, and they start yelling about how it's not a job for an adult with a family, and you should have picked a DIFFERENT job...

I can't afford to be choosy. My job history was shit, so I couldn't get hired anywhere OTHER than fast food. And every single one of my coworkers is an adult with kids, not teenagers. To put up with the shit fast food workers have to, minimum wage just isn't enough; from people that will do anything up to and including trying to get you fired just to get free food they don't deserve, to customers spitting at you, to your boss claiming none of her workers are worth even $7.50 an hour... It's a ridiculously stressful job. And now everyone's hours are being cut "due to Obamacare."I'm going to have to find a different job ANYWAYS as I only get about 19 hours a week now, but the idea that fast food is only for teenagers or that fast food should perpetually be a minimum wage job is insane.
Bitch.please
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Yeah an owner, not a burger flipper.

Quoting Anonymous:

that's not true..i've known many parents who had a successful McD's career with the corporation.. Key word: corporation....franchises don't pay shit

and good McDs CEO can make a six figure salary

Quoting Bitch.please:

Bingo, McDonald's is for kids in high school, not an adult with a family.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you want a 'living wage' get a career. You can't take ever crap job that needs zero education and make them pay $15 plus an hour.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:48 AM
I don't but don't expect that minimum wage job to pay a lot. And of course the answer would be to get an education BEFORE having a family. That would solve a lot of the problems. I worked a crap job in high school and when I was in college (mostly with other young childless people). Why should the business have to pay big bucks for unskilled labor because people with kids decided to work there? That kind of work is not for people trying to support a hoard of kids. It's good for people trying to support themselves.
Quoting peanutsmommy1:

People cant win. They get laid off and people yell at them to get any damn job they can find, but even if they are working full time on minimum wage they still get PA and people bitch about that.

I dont think any adult dreams of working at McDonlads, but I respect anyone who will take any job available to support their family.

Quoting Anonymous:

mamakat070812
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Managers and such, reasonable... But for cashiers or burger flippers... Um fuck no. Yea.. Lets encourage the population to drop out of school and work fast food for a living.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pregnantmama105
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:49 AM
The most I made in fast food was 11.80/hr. The person above me made nearly $15/hr but he. Agian she was close to 60 and working there since she was 16. So if you want to make $15 in fastfood you need to work your way up. Which is totally possiable witb being there for a good couple yrs and being promoted. My bosses made $15 an hr as well or were salary.
illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

How so? There are still plenty of employers who find 10 years experience in that field to be sufficient. You stick with one company and work your way up. By 26 you could have your 10 years in and then have kids. The problem is that people hop around between useless jobs and have no real experience. 

If you want a degree and are poor, we have pell grants that will pay for CC in full. Many states (like IL) also have state grants. In IL a single 25 year old working for min wage would qualify for just shy of $10k a year for school in grants - no debt. You need 54 hours of your bachelors degree completed at a 4-year school and a public in-state school with in-state residency magically comes out to $10k a year if you do 12 hours per semester. You could do your first 60 hours at CC at an efficent pace since its just gen eds (18 fall, 18 spring, 6 summer, 18 fall, transfer) then do 12/12/12/12/12 for your last 5 semesters with summers off. You'd still finish in 4 years with 0 out of pocket.

Quoting 2012Rabbit12:

Getting a career cost lots of money in itself though.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Unskilled jobs were never meant to provide for a family. Adults are supposed to have a career.

Quoting 2012Rabbit12:

They have a point. You can't provide for your children or pay rent making minimum wage without the help of welfare.

Bitch.please
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:50 AM
2 moms liked this
What do you mean by "no means to further their education" everyone and anyone can further their education.

Quoting Ms_mom_81:

True, but even people with no means to further their education should be able to support their family. Especially if they are working full time. Sorry. To think other wise is very disturbing.

Quoting Bitch.please:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:51 AM

i said CEO....there's a difference between an owner and a corporate CEO..i worked for the corporation for a long time....they'll send you to college and everything...it's a good career start for restaurant minded people

Quoting Bitch.please:

Yeah an owner, not a burger flipper.

Quoting Anonymous:

that's not true..i've known many parents who had a successful McD's career with the corporation.. Key word: corporation....franchises don't pay shit

and good McDs CEO can make a six figure salary

Quoting Bitch.please:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonandon
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:51 AM
I agree with this.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)