Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Fast food workers paid up to 15hr? thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
The battle over a living wage in Washington, D.C., will become part of a national conversation on Monday when workers from several major fast food chains go on strike.

Employees at chains like McDonald's, KFC, Burger King and Papa John's in seven cities will call for a living wage. They want to raise pay rates to $15 an hour.

They call their movement "Fast Food Forward" and the strike could last through Thursday. It comes as the District and Walmart battle over a living wage.

The retail giant has threatened to hold off plans for some of its D.C. stores if the council approves a living wage increase.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Replies (41-50):
PestPatti
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Where is written that adults are supposed to have a career.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Unskilled jobs were never meant to provide for a family. Adults are supposed to have a career.

Quoting 2012Rabbit12:

They have a point. You can't provide for your children or pay rent making minimum wage without the help of welfare.

TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:53 AM

So if they get $15 an hour, how much will the food prices go up? Someone's gotta pay for the wage increase.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
No, sorry. You start paying people $15/hr to flip burgers and now your happy meal is $10. People need to understand that fast food is not a career, set your sights higher, and gain some skills. Flipping burgers is simply not worth $15/hr. Most people who work for H&R Block don't make that filing your taxes. Your cheeseburger is worth more than your 1040? I think not!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh sweetie... skilled jobs require skills. For example, you cannot walk into an electrician union office and magically be an electrician. You cannot walk into a hospital and magically be a nurse. You cannot show up at a computer firm and magically be a computer programmer. Those jobs require training, education, certification, etc.

Anyone can walk into McDonalds and know how to do the job. I am sure my 5 year old could find the french fry button on the register and get everyone's order wrong, just like the unskilled adults who do the job now. You do not need any special skills to flip a burger and push register buttons. It is a job that 16 year olds can do.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

You think you'd learn by now from this group not to assume anything. If people work in a specific field for a certain amount of time do they not deserve a higher wage? Of course.

And working at McDonald's is not an "unskilled job" it teaches you customer service, mathematical skills (yes addition and multiplication big whoop right!?) food prep, and whatever else they do... So because you don want to sacrifice your dollar mcdouble you'd sacrifice the quality of financial life of others... Cool beans.

by illinoismommy83 Erica on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Lol. So you want to increase pay for unskilled labor, then pay 2x for all goods and services? You want a $10 Big Mac and a $3 McDouble? It doesn't go both ways - cheap food does not rain from the sky while employees make decent money.

If we start paying more for unskilled jobs, the cost of living will go up. Unskilled jobs are not meant for adults with families. It is assumed by the time you pop out kids that you have years of experience in your field and an education.

Quoting Anonymous:

I believe people who earn the wage deserve 15 an hour... THe experience alone deserves a high raise.

I don't care if its a job no one will take or people think is crap... You eat their food you pay for their services... Everyone deserves a wage where they can live comfortably... To me 7.25 is not enough.

Bitch.please
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:55 AM
And? We are talking burger flippers wanting $15 an hour pshhh!

Quoting Anonymous:

i said CEO....there's a difference between an owner and a corporate CEO..i worked for the corporation for a long time....they'll send you to college and everything...it's a good career start for restaurant minded people

Quoting Bitch.please:

Yeah an owner, not a burger flipper.

Quoting Anonymous:

that's not true..i've known many parents who had a successful McD's career with the corporation.. Key word: corporation....franchises don't pay shit

and good McDs CEO can make a six figure salary

Quoting Bitch.please:

Bingo, McDonald's is for kids in high school, not an adult with a family.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you want a 'living wage' get a career. You can't take ever crap job that needs zero education and make them pay $15 plus an hour.

storkneedsgps
by RoseTyler on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:56 AM
4 moms liked this
These fast food places make enough money to pay 15 dollars an hour, which isn't that much especially in an area like DC. The problem is the big wigs at the top make millions/billions while the workers at the bottom live in poverty. If the ones at the top weren't so greedy, they could still make a ton of money (that's slightly less) and have their workers have a living wage with benefits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Clearly not on the welfare application.

You have proven that the American dream is dead. Why would someone want a career? Why would someone want to provide for their kids?!

Quoting PestPatti:

Where is written that adults are supposed to have a career.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Unskilled jobs were never meant to provide for a family. Adults are supposed to have a career.

Quoting 2012Rabbit12:

They have a point. You can't provide for your children or pay rent making minimum wage without the help of welfare.

Shari55
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM

True McDonald's is for young adults in high school, however in todays economy McDonald's is an there too. When one is looking for work to support their family you apply everywhere.

Quoting Bitch.please:

Quoting Anonymous:

If you want a 'living wage' get a career. You can't take ever crap job that needs zero education and make them pay $15 plus an hour.

Shari, wife to John since April 1988, Mom to Heather (Jan. 1977) she is mom to five(3boys, 2 girls), Nyssa(April 1989) Michaela(August 1994) and three cats

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM

no, you said working at McD's is for highschool not families....i'm just pointing out, that yes, a career CAN be started at McD's, and a good one at that....and it start by flipping burgers, just as any other newbie would do on any job...entry level...if a person chooses to stay at an entry level job, then that's their fault. 

Quoting Bitch.please:

And? We are talking burger flippers wanting $15 an hour pshhh!

Quoting Anonymous:

i said CEO....there's a difference between an owner and a corporate CEO..i worked for the corporation for a long time....they'll send you to college and everything...it's a good career start for restaurant minded people

Quoting Bitch.please:

Yeah an owner, not a burger flipper.

Quoting Anonymous:

that's not true..i've known many parents who had a successful McD's career with the corporation.. Key word: corporation....franchises don't pay shit

and good McDs CEO can make a six figure salary

Quoting Bitch.please:

Quoting Anonymous:

Idntreallycare
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I think getting paid more than minimum wage would be nice, but $15/hour is a bit much for somebody flipping burgers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN