Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Autism/Vaccines Question...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

If more percentages of parents are choosing not to vaccinate their children in fear of Autism, why is the Autism rate still climbing?

This thought just occurred to me after a friendly debate with my anti-vaxxing SIL. The CDC (obviously) doesn't cite vaccines as a cause on their Autism page, but they do cite reasons such as premature births and older parents as being potential causes. It's just my opinion, I'm no doctor, but I'm going to guess that more premature babies are surviving infancy than ever before; maybe there is a real link there? And there are a lot more older couples having children thanks to great strides in fertility treatments and options; doesn't it sound feasible?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM

pharma is paying to cover it up

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

And, no less parents are not vaxing today, as 20yrs ago...the numbers not vaxing has not changed, acorrding to the cdc...98% of kids are fully vaxed

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I was born at 37 weeks by emergency c section because I had the umbilical cord wrapped so tightly around my neck that my heartrate dropped to almost nothing.  My mom had went in for a routine appointment that day, and they couldn't find my heartbeat.  

I have Aspergers.  I've no idea if the two are related in any way.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't vaccinate but my reasons are much more than a possible Autism trigger.
fiddlerbird555
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Even though I'm violently pro-vaccine, I would have to admit that the numbers of non-vaccinators is probably insufficient to do much to autism rates. (However, the study that linked the two was quite thorougly discredited and the doctor that started the panic was up on charges last I heard.)

Motherof3inNJ
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM

DS5 is autistic and nonverbal. He is fully vaxed but was showing symptoms of autism prior to the MMR. He was not premature and I was 28 when he was born.

I believe he has autism because two of his father's siblings have it as well as his 18 month old half brother on his dad's side.

lasombrs
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM
My son was an emergency section due to pre e and was a little early. Dh is 11 years older then me. I think my son's fever disorder played a part too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Most people who chose not to vaccinate don't do it out of fear for autism.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:02 AM

It's so interesting to read everyone's responses, and that people are playing nice, lol! I'm sure that there are plenty of other reasons why people don't vaccinate their children, but my MIL was -really- twisting my arm about DS. She printed out papers and studies and cited professionals every time DS was due for his next batch of vaccines. Her sole concern was Autism and mental impairment, because she is convinced that most of the impaired people she encounters owe their disability to being vaccinated.

I got him done anyway, though, because I'm the Mom, but boy did I cry a lot of tears of frustration over it!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Oh my goodness, that sounds like every mother's worst nightmare! That's amazing that you survived.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was born at 37 weeks by emergency c section because I had the umbilical cord wrapped so tightly around my neck that my heartrate dropped to almost nothing.  My mom had went in for a routine appointment that day, and they couldn't find my heartbeat.  

I have Aspergers.  I've no idea if the two are related in any way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)