Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Gas Leak inside Apartment *HELP* UPDATE; FOUND: Cracked Flexline + now we have a HAZARD NOTICE!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

We have a gas stove and a gas heater. We're only using the stove because it's summer. Saturday afternoon I started smelling gas, but I couldn't place the smell. Finally Sunday morning I looked at the heater and saw it wasn't in the off position completely with the knob for the pilot is so I turned it.

I thought the smell went away. Then just now I was about to cook a midnight snack and I moved the stove because I could smell gas. Well when I pushed it back into place the strongest smell of gas hit me.

I immediately called the apartment manager and then the on call number. On call person said they'll have maintence give me a call back ASAP.

This is dangerous right? If it were a real gas leak could we still turn on the stove without the apartment blowing up? I tried turning it on and the flame came up like normal. We hadn't used the stove since Tuesday and only used it for the first time again since the smell Sunday evening.

The smell is making my stomach sick. Anyone have experience with this?

UPDATE:

Gas company man showed up 10 minutes after I called and we were already in the car. FOUND: cracked flexline in the stove and it was made worse when I moved the stove. Gas company man said all pipes and flexlines used for the stove and heater in the apartment are ancient and need to be replaced IMMEDIATELY so he gave me a hazard notice to give to the apartment manager in the morning which

Stove is now disconnected for the night and he turned the pilot for the heater off because it was still running and costing us money during the summer. Who knows when the stove will be fixed. I was already on my last nerve with this apartment complex and the manager because she's nothing, but a liar and after tonight I'm done. Their negligence and corner cutting put my family in danger.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Open the windows and get the hell out of the apartment......

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Windows and door are open. Maintence just called back and said call the gas company. This is going to be a long night.

Quoting Sassy762:

ewild
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:17 AM

this gas leaks are very dangerous

Quoting Sassy762:

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Recognize

Signs of a natural gas leak include:

• A "rotten egg" odor
  • A blowing or hissing sound
  • Dead or discolored vegetation in an otherwise green area
  • Flames, if a leak has ignited
  • Dirt or dust blowing from a hole in the ground
  • Bubbling in wet or flooded areas

React

If you suspect a natural gas leak, follow these steps:

• Leave the area immediately and call us at , then follow our instructions
  • Do not use any electrical device, such as light switches, telephones or appliances such as garage door openers. They could spark and ignite the gas.
  • Do not use an open flame, matches or lighters
  • Do not try to locate the source of the gas leak
  • Do not try to shut off any gas valves or appliances
  • Do not start vehicles
  • Do not re-enter the building or return to the area until a Consumers Energy employee says it's safe to do so
  • If the natural gas ignites, let it burn. Do not put out the flame; burning gas will not explode.
  • If you are digging and think you may have damaged a natural gas pipeline, leave the area immediately. If you are using motorized equipment and can turn off the motor safely, do so to prevent the ignition of any leaking gas. Then abandon the equipment and leave the area. Never restart equipment until the surrounding environment has been checked and declared safe.

It is important that you call about natural gas emergencies. Do not e-mail us.

• If you think you have a natural gas emergency, go to a safe location. 
  • If you see unusual activity near a natural gas pipeline or facility, call us immediately 

Calls can be made 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We will respond promptly and at no charge.

Help prevent a gas emergency in your home with these safety tips: 

• Natural gas lines should not be installed from the meter to any other buildings in which people live
  • No building or other structure may be built over any natural gas pipeline
  • Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions in operating and caring for natural gas appliances, and use each appliance for its intended purpose
  • Never use gasoline or other flammable liquids indoors or in the same room or area as a gas appliance or other ignition source
  • After a flood or other disaster, check for the odor of gas before entering any area.  If gas is detected, leave the area immediately and call (800) 477-5050.  Replace any appliance submerged in water
  • Ensure fuel-burning appliances are installed, used and maintained properly and safely.  Hire a qualified technician to inspect heating and venting equipment annually, and use a carbon monoxide alarm that meets current standards.
  • Use a broom to keep gas meters, pipes and other service equipment clear in winter.  Gas-appliance chimneys and vents must be cleared after snow and ice storms to ensure proper venting and prevent carbon monoxide accumulation.
  • Ensure gas space heaters are installed by a qualified professional and used and maintained properly
  • Don’t use fuel lines for storage. Heavy coats or other items hanging from a fuel line (often located near the ceiling in basements) can stress the joints in the pipe and cause gas leaks. Don't allow children to swing on the pipes, either
  • Set your water heater temperature to 120 degrees or lower.  Check the water temperature before placing a child in the bathtub, and never leave a child alone or with other young children in the bathtub.
  • Replace flexible connectors. Cracks can form and cause serious gas leaks in these flexible pipes that attach appliances to fuel lines. Limit the number of times you move natural gas appliances, and replace flexible connectors at least every 10 years with an American National Standards Institute (ANSI) approved model.

Quoting Anonymous:

Windows and door are open. Maintence just called back and said call the gas company. This is going to be a long night.

Quoting Sassy762:

SageAdvice
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:19 AM

call 911 and report it and get out of the apartment NOW

angie729
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:19 AM

What Sassy said and you are not supposed to use your phone in the house when you suspect a gas leak.

Cheribomb
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:20 AM
You have a gas stove? Could one of the pilot lights gone out? That will give off a slight gas smell.
tiniowien
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:20 AM
1 mom liked this

ASAFP

Quoting Sassy762:

Hartbrayka
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:23 AM

there might be a pilot out.  If the smell is that bad call the fire department.  They will come in and test it.  They have a devise that tests the amount of gas and where it is coming from.  I had a gas leak in my basement one time.  It was the oven down there.  I happened to be awake at the God aweful hour of 4 am and I passed the basement door and from under the door the smell was pouring out.  We had to evacuate the house and the fire department shut down all the gas and electric in the house and they tested where the gas was coming from.  There was a minor tear in the gas line going to the oven.  If I wasn't awake, the fire department said we all would have been dead. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:25 AM

freaking leave  JHC...........NOW!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN