Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Father was an illegal immigrant and was deported

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:11 AM
  • 11 Replies

When I was 8 my father was arrested and deported back to Haiti. Until then, I had no idea that he was in this country illegally. My mother thought he had refugee status, like she did. Because she was legal, she was allowed to stay. My sisters, my brother and I were born here, so we are citizens.

We heard from him here and there, but it is hard to keep touch with someone in such a poverty stricken country.  When the tsunami hit in 2010, we had no way of knowing whether he was alive or dead. My brother is a doctor and he was able to go and help out. While he was there he was finally able to find our father, but he was not doing well. He had diabetes really bad, was blind in one eye, and had hurt his leg badly when a wall had fallen on him during the storm.

My brother was able to sponsor him to come back to the United States legally, and he is living with him. My mother has not seen him. She remarried years ago (which went against her faith), and does not want to see him again. She says she cannot forgive him for lying to her all those years ago and leaving her alone to raise 4 children.

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:12 AM
Wow I'm sorry
SadiasMomma
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:15 AM
That's rough. Your poor mother
AngryBob
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:15 AM

how crazy! have you seen him at all or have a relationship with him?

my4kids274
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:15 AM

That is ashame. 

zaftigmama
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Letters here and there. When we got older, an email occasionally. Communications down there aren't the greatest. My oldest sister had sent him a cell phone at one point, but signals are weak or nonexistant.

Quoting AngryBob:

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:19 AM
That's crazy. My mom was almost deported when my parents divorced. She was born in Tijuana, never lived there. My parents divorced after 20 years and four children, apparently it was a 'fake' marriage. She was able to get citizenship status because none of us wanted to live with our dad.
AngryBob
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:22 AM

Quoting zaftigmama:

Letters here and there. When we got older, an email occasionally. Communications down there aren't the greatest. My oldest sister had sent him a cell phone at one point, but signals are weak or nonexistant.

Quoting AngryBob:

i mean do you see him now that he's in the states and living with your brother?

Let the sisters take care of themselves, and make themselves beautiful, and if any of you are so superstitious and ignorant as to say that this is pride, I can say that you are not informed as to the pride which is sinful before the Lord. You are also ignorant as to the excellency of the heavens and the beauty which dwells in the society of the Gods. Were you to see an angel, you would see a beautiful and lovely creature. Make yourselves like angels in goodness and beauty. ~Brigham Young
zaftigmama
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:23 AM

There were 4 of us, too. Both of my parents were from Haiti, but she had come legally and he hadn't.

Quoting HistoryNutty:

That's crazy. My mom was almost deported when my parents divorced. She was born in Tijuana, never lived there. My parents divorced after 20 years and four children, apparently it was a 'fake' marriage. She was able to get citizenship status because none of us wanted to live with our dad.

zaftigmama
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:26 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter and I took a trip down there last Christmas. We're in different states. My brother was the best for him to stay with because he is a doctor, but we all try to help with his expenses so my brother and his wife aren't overwhelmed.

Quoting AngryBob:

Quoting zaftigmama:

Quoting AngryBob:

i mean do you see him now that he's in the states and living with your brother?

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:40 AM
My dad is white, born in San Antonio. My mom is Mexican, my grandpa was in the navy when she was born. The navy hospital apparently had terrible conditions, so my grandma paid $50 for a private room and nurse in Mexico.

My mom basically raised us on her own, my dad was always gone either working or getting drunk.

Quoting zaftigmama:

There were 4 of us, too. Both of my parents were from Haiti, but she had come legally and he hadn't.

Quoting HistoryNutty:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured