Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Poverty level wages, single motherhood, some things just can't be helped

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/28/19738595-ap-4-in-5-americans-live-in-danger-of-falling-into-poverty-joblessness?lite

Just read this article and I just don't get how they can pinpoint numbers according to races whether it's poverty, single motherhood, etc. Things happen for reasons. Yeah poor desicions, I know. Someone on the comments mentioned about the mom whose 3 times married and divorced has a live in boyfriend on disability and her daughter has 2 kids single mom livng with a boyfriend on ssdi too. And the person said that's setting an example for your children. Bad luck from your parents like divorce effecting the next generation and they end up settling for less. Not denying anything it's true cause I've settled. There's always someone out there for someone but it's not always a knight in shining armour, rather a pawn in rags but still loves us. But really not just this article but in general there's really nothing to be done as far as improving marriage rates and having less single mothers. Why? Because not everyone can meet 'the one' and especially if the mom has two young kids or just one, most guys don't want to be bothered with another man's children/drama with baby daddies. Yeah some of you have been fortunate to get out of single motherhood and marry but not everyone is fortunate. Poverty can be helped if one would strive for work and make an effort. Unless the person is severely disabled of any form where working has to be limited or not working at all which is understandable. Obama's going to build more jobs yes but he can't make better men for women and decrease the numbers in single motherhood. Nothign can be done there.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:12 AM
4 moms liked this

Single motherhood can absolutely be helped. Women can raise their standards a bit and stop sleeping with men who won't be fathers. Men can keep their flies zipped once in a while. Couples can work on their marriages instead of crying "Divorce" every time they have a disagreement.

There is nothing the government can do, except perhaps stop offering so much aid, which would probably just cause new issues. But there is plenty we can start to work on as a culture. There is no question that children raised by two parents in a stable relationship are off to a better start in life than kids raised by a single mom (especially if she's single because she wants to be, or because dad took off and is a deadbeat - I think the stats are different for widows).

lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:18 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:20 AM
OP- I disagree with what you wrote. Not gonna even get into it.
smalltowngal
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:26 AM
I don't like how they got the 4 out 5 number by combining stats. Unfortunately, I don't a lot of people care where society is heading except how it affects their wallets.
Val99
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Getting out of poverty can be done if the person has the drive to succeed.  It's not the government's fault if people don't find out what educational resources are out there and take advantage of it.  I found myself nearly destitute when my husband died and I had no higher education since I stopped after secondary school to be a SAHM.  I found educational programs available, worked multiple jobs, got an education, and within 4 years I was making over $85k a year.  Of course, as I advanced my education beyond a BS my salary went up significantly from there.

People want to make excuses or have the government do it for them.  People with drive succeed, those without are left to a life of poverty.

alc4evermom
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Good lord!  The people in those pictures were unkempt and severely overweight.   Maybe they are just lacking motivation and education.  

There is a huge gap between economic levels where i live, but people on both sides are equally as annoying lol.  When I was a server in a part of town with that huge gap I learned that rich people want a lot of things for free too. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Quoting B1Bomber:

Single motherhood can absolutely be helped. Women can raise their standards a bit and stop sleeping with men who won't be fathers. Men can keep their flies zipped once in a while. Couples can work on their marriages instead of crying "Divorce" every time they have a disagreement.

There is nothing the government can do, except perhaps stop offering so much aid, which would probably just cause new issues. But there is plenty we can start to work on as a culture. There is no question that children raised by two parents in a stable relationship are off to a better start in life than kids raised by a single mom (especially if she's single because she wants to be, or because dad took off and is a deadbeat - I think the stats are different for widows).

It's hard if you're already a single mom to raise your standards when still no man would want you cause you have kids. Just have to suck it up and wait til the kids are out of high school to get a better chance if you're not too old and worn down after raising the kids on your own all those years. My aunt just threw in the towel and was so used to being single and was glad the kids were out she didn't bother getting all fancied up for guys.She put in enough energy raising the kids. Don't need anymore trying to look good in hopes of a man falling for her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:51 AM
2 moms liked this
Prevention is key. Get an education before having children. Get married before having children. Wait until late 20's or early 30's before having children. Life is tough and mistakes happen, but where there's a will there's a way.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Prevention is key. Get an education before having children. Get married before having children. Wait until late 20's or early 30's before having children. Life is tough and mistakes happen, but where there's a will there's a way.

Well children out of wedlock is the new norm and more accepted so I don't think that'll change anytime soon. The whole 1950s nuclear family thing is pretty much long gone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Marriage is just one of the steps to try to prevent single parenthood. I am not basing this off of moral or biblical belief, but a stable two-parent family is generally a much better environment for a child then a single one. Stable is the key word, so if a couple (gay or straight) is stable and committed then marriage is secondary. However, marriage shows more of a commitment than being a live-in boyfriend.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Well children out of wedlock is the new norm and more accepted so I don't think that'll change anytime soon. The whole 1950s nuclear family thing is pretty much long gone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)