Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you've had your wisdom teeth removed...*POLL*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 514 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: If you had your wisdom teeth removed, was it....

Options:

not so painful with a short recovery time

painful, but with a short recovery time

painful with a long recovery time

other; please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 951

View Results

Okay, so my husband is getting his wisdom teeth taken out this Thursday. He is already a big baby about pain/illness/etc., but everyone around him is making this even worse. All his friends at work have him convinced that he will be pretty much bedridden for 4/5 DAYS! Also, it costs extra to be put completely under, but he wants to have it done. He is pretty much refusing to listen to my trying to explain the different between being put under anesthesia and just having novocaine and a happy pill.

I keep telling him it's not a big deal. I had mine taken out (along with an eye tooth that was fused to my jawbone)when I was 19, and I went out to dinner the next night and ate just fine. They gave me tylenol with codeine in it, but I didn't take any. I just took some Aleve the first day and I was fine. Also, his are already partway out, where mine were all still under my gums.

So, what I want to know is, if you had your wisdom teeth out, was it really that bad? Was my experience typical, or is what his buddies are saying more typical?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Karen_29
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I am not even going to lie and say it wasnt painful because it was but recovery time wasnt very long. I swelled a little

Jabojoe
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:37 AM
6 moms liked this
I had 2 kids, in labor with one for 19 hours and both by c section. Id have rather had ten more then my wisdom teeth out. Worst experience EVER!! And the pain meds made me ill so couldn't take them. It has given me a major fear of the dentist and I haven't been in a long while. Just my experience. The pain lasted about a week for me. I wasn't bedridden though.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine was incredibly painful - the pain pills they gave me to start with (darvocet, I'm allergic to codeine) didn't touch it.  I had to get narcotics for it.  I didn't eat (or really do anything else) for 3 days.  Couldn't eat normally for close to a week.  And I have a fairly high pain tolerance!

disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:40 AM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't have had it done without being put under.  I have a very low pain tolerance and didn't find it that bad but they wouldn't have gotten near me without my being unconscious.  Recovery was a couple of days.  I didn't have any complications which would have meant a longer recovery.  My friend ate too early and got food in the socket.

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I never had any pain, but I was really sick to my stomach for about a week, and I was also very swollen in the face.

Lucky2BaMomof2
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Mine were tissue impacted and my roots criss crossed fun stuff... I was on liquids only for 2 weeks..

I ended up with dry socket.. It sucked! Its been over 2 years and my stickers still haven't filled.. Pita! I have to clean out my gums every time I eat... Grrr..

Everyone is different
nichole_erin
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:42 AM
I had the sedation to have mine out. It apparently didnt take, because i was concious and aware of everything they were doing. It was traumatizing and my recovery was very slow. And i didnt even have difficult wisdom teeth. They were all in straight (just overcrowded my mouth and messed up the alignment of my front teeth.) Every person will have their own experience. My husbands teeth were impacted and he had a extensive procedure to cut them out, but he bounced back like it never happened. I bled for 2 days and couldnt eat solids for over a week.
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Here's the worst thing that I remember:  my face swelled up like a football!  They told me to ice my face, but I thought I'd be fine.

ICE! 

Rhodin
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:43 AM
I was put under for two teeth. I hated it because I was in a fog the whole rest of the day day and took the local for the other two. I felt nothing during the procedure and didn't even fill my Tylenol 3 prescription.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Wow. My c-section wasn't that painful for me either, but it was definitely worse than my wisdom teeth

Quoting Jabojoe:

I had 2 kids, in labor with one for 19 hours and both by c section. Id have rather had ten more then my wisdom teeth out. Worst experience EVER!! And the pain meds made me ill so couldn't take them. It has given me a major fear of the dentist and I haven't been in a long while. Just my experience. The pain lasted about a week for me. I wasn't bedridden though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)