Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MOMS who have a career.... how did you know what you wanted to be?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 84 Replies

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm having a very hard time deciding what I want to go to college for, my kids are almost 2 & 5 and I want to go back to school. I want to be so many things. How did you ever decide? I wish I could like test the careers before paying all this money to go into school for it , to see if I really like it. 

bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm 43 & I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up! Sometimes I wish I did.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Quoting bluebunnybabe:

I'm 43 & I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up! Sometimes I wish I did.

Did you go to school for anything in particular? 

SaratheV
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:23 AM
When I started college I was dead set in being a sex edteacher. My senior year I really got on to the nutrition side of my degree. I decided I enjoyed that a lot more than teaching in high school. I taught for a yea to confirm. While I love teaching sex ed, and I'm good at it, I can't stand the politics of the public school system. I decided to get my Master's in Nutrition. This way I can still teach sex ed in schools and also have a different career.
bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:23 AM
It's very hard. My daughter just finished up her RN & then decided she doesn't want to be a nurse! The best advice I have is talking to people in the fields you're considering & ask what they don't like about their jobs.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm having a very hard time deciding what I want to go to college for, my kids are almost 2 & 5 and I want to go back to school. I want to be so many things. How did you ever decide? I wish I could like test the careers before paying all this money to go into school for it , to see if I really like it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM

That's a great idea, except for I don't know anyone that works in the fields I'm interested in. 

Quoting bluebunnybabe:

It's very hard. My daughter just finished up her RN & then decided she doesn't want to be a nurse! The best advice I have is talking to people in the fields you're considering & ask what they don't like about their jobs.

Quoting Anonymous:

lucydiamond
by LD on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Kids or no kids, I've always known what I wanted to do - and the answer is, a shit ton of things. I'm a makeup artist, birth doula, lactation consultant, magazine editor (and writer) and aspiring novelist. I have a university diploma in Professional Writing and about to finish a Bachelor of Communications. I also have certifications from the classes I took to become a doula and LC. And I'm 21 haha. I'm sure you have time to try some things out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:25 AM

My college science degree was broad enough to be applied to different areas. I changed my job a few different times till I found what I really loved to do.

SouthernMamaof1
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I used to teach piano.  I found out that I love sharing what I'm good at with kids.  So, I decided to be a teacher.  I also love math.  So, I decided to be a math teacher.  I had a 7th grade teacher that was a great influence in my life.  I went from struggling to being the best in my class.  I wanted be like her.  I wanted to have that influence on my own students.  I love when I get kids in my class that hate math.  I always tell them my story of struggling and encourage them to not give up. Now I teach 7th grade math.

You can test careers before paying the money.  Think of a few that you are interested in and call around ask if you can shadow for a day.  Tell them you are interested in that field.

If you are interested in nursing, call the hospital.  If you are interested in teaching, spend a day with a classroom teacher.

What fields are you thinking about?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Quoting lucydiamond:

Kids or no kids, I've always known what I wanted to do - and the answer is, a shit ton of things. I'm a makeup artist, birth doula, lactation consultant, magazine editor (and writer) and aspiring novelist. I have a university diploma in Professional Writing and about to finish a Bachelor of Communications. I also have certifications from the classes I took to become a doula and LC. And I'm 21 haha. I'm sure you have time to try some things out.

wow ! props to you ! I'm 22 and I have no clue what I really want to do. I want to be the following:FBI agent,detective,graphic designer,tv producer,mortician, crime scene investigator. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN