Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Landlord/Tenant Question *UPDATE*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

If you were renting a home and noticed that nails and tack strips were sticking out of the carpet where you and your family were getting cuts on your feet, would you expect the landlord to repair/replace the carpet? Or would you do it yourself and pay for the repair/replacement yourself?

Note: We've lived in the house for 3 days so it's not something we caused.

UPDATE: Landlord came by yesterday morning to look at the carpet and was appalled and embarrassed. She had no idea that the previous tenant had nailed down carpet throughout the two bedrooms. She manages so many homes that she doesn't always get to view them all before a new tenant moves in. She is having the carpet replaced this weekend. She apologized for being unprofessional and is giving us a discount on next months rent. She felt terrible that we had cut our feet and were avoiding these rooms until the problem was solved.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:57 PM

We did the hammer thing but that didn't work. My breaking point was yesterday when my son (who is 3 years old) scratched his foot pretty good from a nail that is sticking out of the carpet in the doorway of his bedroom. I've put down a small soft blanket for now. The landlord is pushing back on making any repairs saying that I need to handle it myself. I can't find anywhere that carpet that is pre-existing is our responsibility.

Quoting lydias_mommy12:

The landlord should fix it but honestly I had to either put something over our carpet where its like that in our house or get a hammer and do it myself because our landlord ain't worth a shit.

ChicatSixty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Call and let him know...but ask if s/he just wants you to hammer down the tacks.

Why would you think that repairing or replacing the carpet would be the fix?

This is why you should really be paying attention when you do your walk thru.

Not that this has anything to do with your question....but we have 25 rentals and this young couple just moved into on of our little houses. EVERY day, it is something. The house had a stove and fridge but it also has a laundry room, but without w/d. When is she getting her new W/D? (Never) And the stove and fridge are both white---she doesn't really like them. Could we switch them out for black ones? (No). When is she getting a dishwasher? (Never) And she does not like the fence. It is wrought iron and keeps her one little dog in but she really would like a little more privacy. Any way we could replace the fence or do something about the high visability? (No). 

lydias_mommy12
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Your landlord sounds like mine. Where is the spot at? Is it in a place you can put a piece of furniture on it until it's fixed?

Quoting Anonymous:

We did the hammer thing but that didn't work. My breaking point was yesterday when my son (who is 3 years old) scratched his foot pretty good from a nail that is sticking out of the carpet in the doorway of his bedroom. I've put down a small soft blanket for now. The landlord is pushing back on making any repairs saying that I need to handle it myself. I can't find anywhere that carpet that is pre-existing is our responsibility.

Quoting lydias_mommy12:

The landlord should fix it but honestly I had to either put something over our carpet where its like that in our house or get a hammer and do it myself because our landlord ain't worth a shit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Always alert the landlord first.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

No, there is no way to notice unless you're walking barefoot. We had shoes on when walking through the house. We noticed on Saturday when we were barefoot for the first time.

Quoting Qmama206:

Did you notice this before you signed the lease? I would not be surprised if you already have the lease in place and the landlord won't replace the carpet. It does not hurt to ask but I would not be surprised if you have to pay for new carpet

redbutterfly666
by Emerald Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:00 PM

i would ask them to fix it first,if they didnt fix it in a timely manner i would fix it myself,give them the receipt and tell them to take the amount off the rent

KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:00 PM
I would ask the landlord to fix it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Unfortunately not. It's in the doorways of 2 rooms. That's where it's the worst. I've contacted the health department to find out what exactly the laws are here.

Quoting lydias_mommy12:

Your landlord sounds like mine. Where is the spot at? Is it in a place you can put a piece of furniture on it until it's fixed?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lydias_mommy12:

Vamp
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:01 PM

The landlord should do it

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Them. If they don't call the housing authority in your area.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)