Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

13 year old dies suddenly at camp

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  • 84 Replies
1 mom liked this
http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=252201

CARMICHAEL, Calif. - It was supposed to be the last day of a family vacation at a popular summer camp, but it ended in tragedy for one Sacramento-area family when a loved one had a fatal allergic reaction.

Relatives says 13-year-old Natalie Giorgi died from a severe allergic reaction to peanut butter while she was attending Camp Sacramento off Highway 50 in El Dorado County.

Now, the family says it really wants to get the message out about how dangerous and deadly food allergies can be.

Giorgi was very careful about what she ate and always made sure her food did not have nuts, according to family and friends.

But she had unknowingly eaten a Rice Krispies-type snack made with peanut butter.

On Friday night, the final night of camp, there was entertainment and refreshments. A dessert tray was put out in a dark area of the camp.

Giorgi reached for a treat and took a bite out of it. She knew something wasn't right, spit it out and told her mother, who also tasted the treat.

They later realized it contained peanut butter. Natalie felt fine for about 20 minutes, but then began vomiting, had trouble breathing and went into cardiac arrest.

3 epinephrine pens were used but they could not help save the girl, according a family friend.

Giorgi was taken to the hospital by ambulance where she was pronounced dead.

Family and friends are coming to terms with Giorgi's sudden death.

"She took every care. She knew the situation, that's (connected to) the allergy she had. And they were really on it all the time," said Pastor Michael Kiernan of Our Lady of the Assumption Church in Carmichael.

A special vigil was held at the church for Giorgi Sunday evening.

Some say they'll remember her smile and laughter. Others will remember how much she loved to draw and how much she loved her friends.

Her family said Giorgi wanted to become a neonatologist, to care for premature babies like her and her twin sister.

Meanwhile, family members extended their gratitude to the paramedics, firefighters and everyone who tried to help save Natalie.

They offered the following written statement:

"While our hearts are breaking over the tragic loss of our beautiful daughter Natalie, it is our hope that others can learn from this and realize that nut and food allergies are life threatening. Caution and care for those inflicted should always be supported and taken."

An allergist said food allergies and nut allergies have tripled in the past decade. He says more people need to understand the dangers of food allergies and that they can sometimes be fatal.

By Suzanne Phan, sphan@news10.net

Twitter: @SuzannePhan
News10/KXTV

How tragic.
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby4us09
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

How sad and tragic for this family.

My heart goes out to them.


Anonandon
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Very sad. If my child had such a life threatening allergy, I don't think I could send them to camp. There's too much that can go wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2ljh
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM
If you reread the article, her family was there. This was a family camp and this tragedy happened with her family right there. Her mom even tasted the dessert after she said it didn't taste right.


Quoting Anonandon:Very sad. If my child had such a life threatening allergy, I don't think I could send them to camp. There's too much that can go wrong.
Cmgmqmmom
by Sass Queen on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM
How horrible for her family. May she rest in peace.
j3st3r
by Jedi on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM

 

her mother was sitting next to her.

Quoting Anonandon:

Very sad. If my child had such a life threatening allergy, I don't think I could send them to camp. There's too much that can go wrong.


 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Why did she or her parents not make sure first? It says they were always on top of it.  Apparently not.  Iam severely allergic to pork.  I always ask if I don't know.

V.Dubbya
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Oh my gosh... Reading this is absolutely breaking my heart.  I know I don't always take nut allergies as seriously as I could and this a poignant reminder as to why I should... :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I have a 13 year old....I can't even imagine. I feel so bad for her family :(

RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM
9 moms liked this

So her family was there and knew she'd eaten PB... yet they waited 20 min for a reaction?

If you know your child has a life threatening allergy and you know they came in contact with it, why would you not immediately go to the hospital????

it's a horribly tragic story, but why the hell did they wait?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:34 PM

That poor family.  My brother did the same thing (except for the death part) at camp.  He is allergic to peanut butter and thought a rice krispie treat was a safe bet.  He didn't realize that peanut butter was used instead of marshmallow.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)