Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

AMALGAM FILLINGS? *Update*

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:01 PM
  • 51 Replies

Do you think they are safe?  Dd has to get two fillings tomorrow and I'm a bit worried.  Is it worth the money to get composite fillings in baby teeth?  Just looking for others' thoughts.

She got the composite fillings today, I'm glad I was able to afford them, and feel very glad that she isn't sucking on mercury.  

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsApple
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I've heard that it's worthless to get fillings in baby teeth,but I've never had to make that choice (daughter has never had cavities) so I've never actually researched it.

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Well, she hasn't started losing any yet, and I worry about it causing her pain at some point.

Quoting MrsApple:

I've heard that it's worthless to get fillings in baby teeth,but I've never had to make that choice (daughter has never had cavities) so I've never actually researched it.

MrsApple
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:13 PM

How old is she?

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Well, she hasn't started losing any yet, and I worry about it causing her pain at some point.

Quoting MrsApple:

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:15 PM

6 in October.

Quoting MrsApple:

How old is she?

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Quoting MrsApple:

Ali32
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I'm not sure how safe the amalgam is. I know I had fillings from a long time ago and dentists have said that they may start leaching out some of the mercury or whatever they are made out of. I've had all of my old fillings removed and had the composite ones put in. Not just for looks but also because some of them had been in my mouth for over 20 years! They cost a bit more. 

momto3boys85
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Amalgam fillings aren't dangerous, and unless they are her permanent teeth I wouldn't bother getting composites done. its the same thing, the difference is the material used to bond the filling. One is a alloy with metals and the other is a bonding agent that matches the tooth color.  I'm in Dental Assisting school.  Also ask about sealants on the molar teeth to help prevent future cavities too. 

Looking4Truth
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I've heard from numerous sources that Amalgam fillings are not good at all.  In fact, Mercury is one of the ingredients in Amalgam fillings, and as you get older in life, the mercury can start to leak out.  Many neurologists believe that leaking mercury from amalgam fillings is one of the causes of getting Multiple Sclerosis later on in life.  All I can say is that I've got MS, and I have a mouthful of amalgam fillings.  I can't say with 100% certainty that it caused my MS, but it sure is suspicious.  By the way, I don't think dentists like to put fillings in baby teeth.

Golfermom3
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

My ds's girlfriend works for a dentist. She said they usually use silver for baby teeth, because they will fall out eventually, and composite is more expensive.  I wouldn't worry about leaching in baby teeth. It takes a while.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:22 PM
3 moms liked this

The reason they don't do composite fillings on kids is because amalgum fillings work better in children.  Kids produce more saliva during the filling procedure and they wiggle.  The composite fillings require 100% dry preparation area (aka hole they drill).  The composite filling bonds to the tooth through the tubules.  Amalgum fillings are held in place by a mechanical preparation (rather than chemical) and are more forgiving to moisture.  Also, if the amalgum filling comes out, they can refill it and barely take any more healthy tooth structure.  If a composite filling comes out, they have to take a lot more tooth structure in order to get it to bond properly.  Composite fillings that come out once have a higher failure rate the second and third time.  Each time, more natural tooth structure is drilled away.  In adults, it's not a big deal.  Children, however, have a larger pulp chamber and you run the risk of drilling into the nerve or getting the tooth too hot with the drill which can kill the nerve.  ETA: Composite is full of a lot of shit you might not want leeching into your mouth too.  Formaldehyde is one of the biggest ones.

I was a dental assistant (which is how I know that stuff) and if my son had needed fillings I would have done amalgum unless it was front teeth.

Looking4Truth
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I've heard from several neurologists that the mercury in Amalgam fillings can sometimes leak out later in life, and there are a great many Neurologists who believe that this leaking mercury does have something to do with getting Multiple Sclerosis.  I have MS.  I've done a lot of research on this, and it's definitely suspicious.

Quoting momto3boys85:

Amalgam fillings aren't dangerous, and unless they are her permanent teeth I wouldn't bother getting composites done. its the same thing, the difference is the material used to bond the filling. One is a alloy with metals and the other is a bonding agent that matches the tooth color.  I'm in Dental Assisting school.  Also ask about sealants on the molar teeth to help prevent future cavities too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN