Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

something to think about when you see a kid with capped teeth

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 105 Replies

So unfortunately my dd had a cavity that was filled last year, we went for routine check up last month and they said the filling fell out. i got the pre authorization paperwork fro m insurance and apparently my dental insurance will only pay to fill the same tooth every 24months (since it was only filled last year they will cover zero to replace the filling), but... they will pay to cap it. so, i can pay full price (about $240) to have them replace the filling, or i can spend about $45 to have the tooth capped. i think its dumb that insurance will pay to replace the whole damn tooth but wont cover to pop a new filling in. she really doesnt need a cap but if thats what insurance will pay for guess thats what she is getting.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IFartGlitter
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:15 PM
3 moms liked this
It doesn't matter. People shouldn't be so damn judgey about baby teeth anyway!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:23 PM
4 moms liked this

OOOO I am guilty of totally judging kids with a crazy amount of dental work going on. 

I mean hey, I get it, kids get cavities, things happen, especially as they age and parents are no longer in charge of their dental hygiene, but oh my goodness gracious.  When my kids (using one of my 6 year old as an example) at work are rolling in with almost nothing but silver teeth, drinking a liter of Hi-C, a Popsicle and a pudding cup......if I am being 100% honest, I have a really, really, really hard time with that choice, and not thinking negatively about it. 

I know finances are BEYOND tight for the family...because...well, that is my job, but I also know that the food bank is offering much more than what that sweet girl is bringing in (that is worst case, their household is food secure as far as I am aware).  

Jenniy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:25 PM
My youngest has all his teeth capped because his reflux was so bad it softened the enamel on all his teeth.
AMRios
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:26 PM
4 moms liked this

That is a tough decision...  I would probably pay the money for no silver teeth... 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I have to agree.. I'm very judgy when it comes to oral hygeine and children.. I don't believe there is any excuse a child should have a cavity or capped teeth.. I take pride in the fact that both of my boys, aged 7 & 9 have never had a cavity and hopefully never will..

Quoting Anonymous:

OOOO I am guilty of totally judging kids with a crazy amount of dental work going on. 

I mean hey, I get it, kids get cavities, things happen, especially as they age and parents are no longer in charge of their dental hygiene, but oh my goodness gracious.  When my kids (using one of my 6 year old as an example) at work are rolling in with almost nothing but silver teeth, drinking a liter of Hi-C, a Popsicle and a pudding cup......if I am being 100% honest, I have a really, really, really hard time with that choice, and not thinking negatively about it. 

I know finances are BEYOND tight for the family...because...well, that is my job, but I also know that the food bank is offering much more than what that sweet girl is bringing in (that is worst case, their household is food secure as far as I am aware).  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:27 PM
My sd5 has several front teeth capped silver. Bm didn't care about letting her sleep with a bottle or cleaning her teeth or teaching her to brush. now I get to be around while people judge my parenting skills. Brilliant!
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Is it a front tooth? My ds has a silver cap but it is towards the back so not to noticeable.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:28 PM

see this is where i wonder if bad teeth can have a genetic component. my kids do not ever get soda or juice, candy only on halloween, easter, and christmas. and i make sure their teeth get brushed twice daily. cant figure out where i went wrong

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:29 PM

its in the back

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Is it a front tooth? My ds has a silver cap but it is towards the back so not to noticeable.

ZombieMomof5
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:31 PM
3 moms liked this

Or how about, instead of thinking the kid has cavities & doesn't take care of their teeth (i.e. the parent doesn't take care of the kid's teeth), realize that there are conditions that can cause a kid to get caps. My DH had caps on most of his teeth as a kid due to a disorder called hypoplasia (I think that's what it's called, and I know I didn't spell it right)... and it is passed down genetically. Our twin boys have it. His 13 year old son does not have it, and so far it does not seem like our girls have it. The boys teeth are both yellowing and the enamel is coming off, because their teeth are not strong. It is not because we don't take care of them. We brush twice a day and floss before bed. THAT is something to think about when you see a child with caps - maybe it is NOT theirs or their parent's fault!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN