Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Maine mamas!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
We are looking to move to central Maine in the next year or so. I need suggestions on good areas, and dh is with the plumbers union, so any experience with the plumbers up there would be helpful!
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:53 PM

bump

HelloSweetie
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Where at? Like Augusta/Newport/Waterville?
I live outside Bangor :P You can PM me if you like

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Well my inlaws live in winslow, so somewhere in that general area. I really liked canaan when we drove through, clinton, maybe china. I wasn't very into waterville, I want a little more rural. We have a friend in bangor and its not bad, but I think dh would be based around Augusta, so that would be a bit of a hike! Thanks!

Quoting HelloSweetie:

HelloSweetie
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Really, Bangor is AWFUL. We moved out of there because the junkies are literally everywhere. Its scary. Stay away from Bangor lol.

I don't know much about those areas :P I stay more north :P Im from the County lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Well my inlaws live in winslow, so somewhere in that general area. I really liked canaan when we drove through, clinton, maybe china. I wasn't very into waterville, I want a little more rural. We have a friend in bangor and its not bad, but I think dh would be based around Augusta, so that would be a bit of a hike! Thanks!

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2013 at 2:07 PM
I've heard pill problems have been REALLY bad up there lately :( I'm just really confused on the school thing mostly. Something like not every area has a school district and if that's the case you can choose?

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Really, Bangor is AWFUL. We moved out of there because the junkies are literally everywhere. Its scary. Stay away from Bangor lol.

I don't know much about those areas :P I stay more north :P Im from the County lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HelloSweetie:

HelloSweetie
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Down in central? I think that is the case, with the state losing money, schools have been closing and consolidating. So if you live outside Waterville, your kids are bussed to the nearest school. In areas around Newport, I heard some kids ride the bus 45 minutes each way :/ so in that repsect, I would def make the move based on the school.  My friends live in Waterville, two kids on the ASD spectrum and she LOVES the school there.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've heard pill problems have been REALLY bad up there lately :( I'm just really confused on the school thing mostly. Something like not every area has a school district and if that's the case you can choose?

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Hm I'll have to do some research. I know that while my husband lived in clinton and china he ended up going to winslow, which is literally right up the road from waterville. I'll have to ask him if waterville was ever one of the options for him. Of course I'm sure things have changed quite a bit in the past 15 years! Do you know of any websites that map out the district situation?

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Down in central? I think that is the case, with the state losing money, schools have been closing and consolidating. So if you live outside Waterville, your kids are bussed to the nearest school. In areas around Newport, I heard some kids ride the bus 45 minutes each way :/ so in that repsect, I would def make the move based on the school.  My friends live in Waterville, two kids on the ASD spectrum and she LOVES the school there.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HelloSweetie:

HelloSweetie
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 2:20 PM

If you type in the town/state on this site, it will show you what falls under a district.  LINK

hope this helps :P

Quoting Anonymous:

Hm I'll have to do some research. I know that while my husband lived in clinton and china he ended up going to winslow, which is literally right up the road from waterville. I'll have to ask him if waterville was ever one of the options for him. Of course I'm sure things have changed quite a bit in the past 15 years! Do you know of any websites that map out the district situation?

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Awesome thanks! I've been browsing houses for sale, but some of them are just blank where its supposed to say school district lol. I definitely do not want to get into a 45 min bussing situation haha!

Quoting HelloSweetie:

If you type in the town/state on this site, it will show you what falls under a district.  LINK

hope this helps :P

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I'm more towards southern maine than that but not far. I'm in the Brunswick area. I've lived alot of areas in ME though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)