Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How to handle this situation

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
My nephew is she 5 years old, my sister sent me an email as to what to buy him for his birthday. When I opened the email, the prices of the gifts she requested are over 400 bucks.
Now, my budget does not allow me to buy such expensive gifts. How do I approach this situation?

I normally buy him something every year.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I would just flat out tell her you aren't spending that much. And ask if there is anything else he is interested in? If no reply or suggestions. Go to toysrus and find something you can afford. Legos are always a good one. At 5 yrs most boys are into dinosaurs, dragons, hot wheels, etc...

SuthernBelleo0o
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Tell her she's effing nuts and buy him what you want to buy him... If they arent satisfied they can return it and get the money back and buy something they want.

choco_mom
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:27 PM

You just let her know nicely that is out of your price range and does she have any other suggestion in your price range.  Do you normally spend that much on gifts?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Eh take the list as suggestions and buy what YOU want to buy him with your budget. I she whines about it then just be honest.

5 year olds don't need expensive gifts like that, they get bored of them after a week or two anyways :p
blessed107
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Tell her you're not paying that much for a birthday gift. You get to choose what to get for her kid. If she wants that expensive gift, you has to fund it. Is that something you all do usually?

art.diva
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:29 PM
2 moms liked this
I'd call her and laugh. And then get a gift card for Walmart just to piss her off.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I would buy him hot wheels.
bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Get him a gift card for the amount you wish to give & if she wants to add to it she can or he can buy something more reasonable for that amount. Pretty rude on her part.
Kellileanne
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

With my relationship with my sisters my response woud be, "Hahahaha!  Try again!"

teaspring
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I'm agreeing with other mothers... he's your nephew and you should choose to buy him what you'd like to see him have and enjoy which is also within your budget

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN