Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Downs and 18

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
Okay first I am not judging. I just have a question because I only know one person with down syndrome (not sure if thats how it is spelled). Anyway my 18 year old cousin male has downs and he has 5 siblings. My aunt wipes his butt and washes him in the shower. He can not make his own food at all not even a sandwich. Is this normal? Is it okay? I just worry about him when they are gone. I dont want to talk about it with my aun because I dont want to hurt her feelings and I dont want her to think anything negative because she takes care of him and I know she lives him. I just am wondering if an yone else knows anyone with downs and when do they become I dependent?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:32 PM

There are just like any other human but do need a bit more extra help and some more then others. Like a lot of other Down syndrome children when there either can no longer take care of them, die or just can't or don't want to. They put them into group homes or someone else who can help them.

I have worked in group home for disabled adults. There were all different in many ways.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I have a downs child who is only 4 and this will be in my future some day.  But in general each down syndrome person is different.  Some can develop and perform close to typical aged people; graduate, marry, have productive jobs.  Others may not develop mentally beyond an elementary aged child.  Your cousin probably does not have the ability to do some of those things himself, he may never.  He is lucky to have parents still able to help in his care and 5 siblings who will hopefully share the care of him after his parents are able to - making important decisions, deciding if he can live with one of them or selecting an appropriate home for disabled adults.

aphrodite7400
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:35 PM

it seems like your cousin might have something else besides Down syndrome.  or a very severe form.   When his mom can no longer take care of him for whatever reason, he will go to a home or another family members care. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Thank you for telling me. I wish I could help them more but I have three kids of my own.
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Down syndrome like most disabilities is on a spectrum. My 8 year old sister who happens to have Down syndrome can do all that stuf but some can't.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:40 PM

One of my uncles had Downs and always behaved like he was 5.  My grandparents died early, so my greatgrandfather cared for my uncle until his own death, then the siblings put him in a mental health facility for the rest of his life.  He died there.  He lived in that facility for over 40 years.  

Christywf
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:43 PM

TYPICALLY their mentality reaches that of an 8 yr old. 

Like other peeps said each is different. 

I would think she should encourage him to bathe alone and take care of his personal hygeine as much as she can.  I

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN