Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

13lbs? At her age?!?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 139 Replies

Mobile Photo

ABaby Jasleen, Born At 13.47 Pounds, Is Germany's Heaviest Baby Born Vaginally (PHOTOS)
Jul 30, 2013
Germany has a new holder for the title of "heaviest baby."

Jasleen was born at University Hospital in Leipzig on July 26, weighing in at 13.47 pounds, and measuring 22.6 inches long -- and she was delivered without the help of a C-section, reports the New York Daily News.

Story continues below photo.

The medical term for babies born weighing more than 8 pounds, 13 ounces is "fetal macrosomia," and heavy babies are often attributed to maternal obesity and diabetes, among other factors. In Jasleen's case, doctors said her size is due to an undiagnosed case of gestational diabetes, reports the German paper Der Spiegel, which adds that both baby and Mom are doing well, though Jasleen remains in the hospital.

Until Jasleen's birth last week the title of Germany's "heaviest" or "largest" baby belonged to one named Jihad, who was born in November 2011 and weighed in at 13 pounds.

Jasleen, however, is not the heaviest baby born this year. We can't forget about about George King, who was born in March to a British couple and weighed in at 15 pounds, 7 ounces -- and again, yes, he was delivered vaginally.

And on July 11, Pittsburgh-area woman Michelle Cessna gave birth to Addyson Gale Cessna, who was born at 13 pounds, 12 ounces, and measured 25 inches via C-section.

While big babies seem to be on the rise, the Guinness Book of World Records says the heaviest baby ever born weighed 23 pounds, born to Anna Bates in 1879. No other newborn has tipped that scale yet, but here are seven who have come close.

My daughter only weighed 6lbs 13oz.

One if my brother weighed 9lbs 15 oz.

Anyone here have a big baby?

Did you deliver vaginally? C-section?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:41 PM
My son was only 6lbs 7oz but my parent's best friends had a son that was over 15 pounds at birth. He's in his late 20's now and is still a big dude.
Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:42 PM

My oldest weighed that at a year old! I had tiny, tiny babies. My biggest was only 5 lbs 3 oz.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:43 PM
My dd only weighs 18 pound at 15 months lol

Quoting bmw29:

My son was only 6lbs 7oz but my parent's best friends had a son that was over 15 pounds at birth. He's in his late 20's now and is still a big dude.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:43 PM

there is no reason for a baby to get that big and I can only assume she was not getting prenatal care?  They would have picked up the gestational diabetes if she was..  I had GD during pregnancy, and they watched me carefully, my baby was normal size at birth.  Crazy.  The poor thing can't even breathe on her own.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Holy moly!
GreenEyePixie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM
My oldest was 9 lb 10oz. 21 inches
youngest was 11 lb 1oz. 20.5 inches
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:45 PM

bump

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Hell I only weighed 18 pounds at 18 months. LOL Both of his parents are big people though. Over 6 foot and 300 pounds easy.

Quoting Anonymous:

My dd only weighs 18 pound at 15 months lol

Quoting bmw29:

eykelley
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Dd is 11m & 14#6oz.
Holy crap!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:46 PM
We didn't find out that I was a type one diabetic until I was 6 months pregnant. I had prenatal care. An appointment every month.

Quoting Anonymous:

there is no reason for a baby to get that big and I can only assume she was not getting prenatal care?  They would have picked up the gestational diabetes if she was..  I had GD during pregnancy, and they watched me carefully, my baby was normal size at birth.  Crazy.  The poor thing can't even breathe on her own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN