Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you tell a person who wants to commit suicide?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies
My boyfriend's friend has tried committing suicide for the 3rd time. This is the 2nd time he's tried hanging himself and another time he tried running across the freeway.

He constantly cheats on his wife. He meets girls and they just spread their legs for him like he has them under a spell. He has cheated on his wife with her family members in their bed.

He went through her phone and found stuff he didn't like, then a fight, then she said she wanted a divorce, now this.

My boyfriend is willing to help him. He tells his friend to think of his kids but he's been with this guy doing this 3 times already. So now he's to the point of just telling him he's pissed off and not going to visit him at the hospital. He takes more of a tough love stance.

Is this how you're supposed to be? Are there things you shouldn't say to someone going through this? I think that someone who is suicidal is tormented by their own mind. It must be a terrible place and I don't even know if there's a way to see someone out of this or if it's something they struggle with their whole life.

Can you help us? I don't know if we're handling this wrong.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Could be because I'm a heartless bitch, but I'm with your bf on this one. Tough love.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:53 AM
I kinda agree. My boyfriend thinks it's more of an attention getting mechanism and he doesn't want to give it attention. But someone who is suicidal, that must be like a prisoner in your own mind. But we don't know we've never been tempted to end our lives :/

Quoting Anonymous:

Could be because I'm a heartless bitch, but I'm with your bf on this one. Tough love.

Amiehart62
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:54 AM

get in the tub, cut up and down, and dont spill on the rug?! O_O

JK!!

If he has seriously tried call the cops, they can help him. Threatening suicide shouldn't be taken lightly and the authorities should be called so the person can get committed quickly.

my first comment was 100% a joke. and you absolutely should call the police and tell them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Bump.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Yes it was the wife he called the cops. I appreciate jokes and thanks for trying to make me smile :/

The friend will call my boyfriend and tell him he's going to end his life, that my boyfriend can have his tools... Sometimes he tries to do it but he's never succeeded.

Quoting Amiehart62:

JK!!

If he has seriously tried call the cops, they can help him. Threatening suicide shouldn't be taken lightly and the authorities should be called so the person can get committed quickly.

my first comment was 100% a joke. and you absolutely should call the police and tell them.

CherrieFaeries
by Alice In Heathenland on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:58 AM
I think it depends on IF there's underlying mood disorder or if it's just depression. It could be that he is seeking attention and that's why he hasn't succeeded in these attempts. The truth of the matter either way is he needs help and some kind of support system he understands that he can't abuse. I think he's done this for attention. You can be there for him without coddling him. Tough love might just be the way to go. Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:00 AM
How can you tell the difference between attention seeking and actual suicidal tendencies?
thetrollcat
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:00 AM

some people dont want help or wont be helped. My mom worked in a psychiatric center there is a huge difference between someone suicidal because they are seeking help verses somene that is a dumb fuck asshole purposely doing shit to fuck up their life and then seriously trying to kill themselves because they cant stop being a big fuck up.

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Can they call his family and see if he can be comitted for observation? If all else fails just call the cops/ambulance and they have to hold him for 24hrs I think.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes it was the wife he called the cops. I appreciate jokes and thanks for trying to make me smile :/

The friend will call my boyfriend and tell him he's going to end his life, that my boyfriend can have his tools... Sometimes he tries to do it but he's never succeeded.

Quoting Amiehart62:

JK!!

SuthernBelleo0o
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:01 AM

my cousin attempted suicide a lot. I told her next time she attempts it she needs to do it right.. she never tried again after that.. It's all for attention.. If someone REALLY wanted to commit suicide, they would do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)