Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did little kids become so snobby?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:12 AM
  • 83 Replies
My oldest son is 8. He's the kind of kid who loves everyone and could make friends with a brick wall. He's always been the kind of kid that wants to make sure everyone feels welcome. He'll be friends with a 90 year old, a 1 year old and everyone in-between regardless of appearance.

I've recently seen multiple times him getting snubbed by kids his own age. He just smiles and says hi and in return he gets a snotty smirk and the kid walking off. Sometimes they'll roll their eyes at him and give him a dirty look. It's starting to piss me off. I don't expect everyone to love him to death, but I don't know what these kids are being taught at home that makes them think it's okay to be so rude to someone who's simply trying to say hello. I teach my children to treat others as they'd want to be treated. I can assure you these kids would be crying to their mommies if they got treated the way they're acting.

Do you teach your kids to be friendly and treat others nicely? If not, why?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this
My son is just like yours and he runs into the same type of kids. I don't know why some kids are just jerks. Probably the same reason some adults are. It really irritates me especially when he starts to be less open because some of his hellos being straight up ignored.
Jaxsonsmama2009
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:17 AM
Most kids we run into are jerks. To the point that I will go up to parents of nice kids and thank them for raising such sweet kids. I have found Little girls tend to be worse than boys.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Welcome to the generation of Millenials children!  They are all going to grow up stuck up snotty brats because 90% of the parents anymore dont even bother to teach them to say thank you or please. They just assume the kid should know this stuff. Its frusterating as HELL.

I took my son to a playgroup locally with other moms my age, all of the other moms were snotty bitches to me, and I was nothing but nice. Their kids spent the first 20 minutes telling my son what a trashy mom he had, and that his clothes 'smelled funny', that his shoes were ugly, etc.  I finally had enough of it and told them they should be ashamed of themselves for picking on someone like that.  I told all the mothers they needed to grow up and learn to respect other people, not wearing designer jeans doesn't make someone 'trash'.

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:20 AM
Yeah, over the years he's obviously become a little more hesitant to talk to anyone. I just tell him to keep being himself and the people who are worth his time will not be rude to him. It hurts me to watch.

Quoting Anonymous:

My son is just like yours and he runs into the same type of kids. I don't know why some kids are just jerks. Probably the same reason some adults are. It really irritates me especially when he starts to be less open because some of his hellos being straight up ignored.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ttriddick
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:20 AM
My son is just like yours. And most kids are just horribly rude. It drives me nuts. His feelings get hurt so easily. :(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:21 AM
5 moms liked this
They started being brats when they stopped getting their ass whipped!
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:22 AM
Yes!! The little girls are way worse. I have a 6 year old dd and hell will freeze over before I let her treat someone that way. I've also thanked parents before.

Quoting Jaxsonsmama2009:

Most kids we run into are jerks. To the point that I will go up to parents of nice kids and thank them for raising such sweet kids. I have found Little girls tend to be worse than boys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:24 AM
DD is just like your son, but she is thick skinned. She knows there are mean kids and people in the world, and when a kid is mean to her, she will just walk off and say * I didn't want to waste my breathe talking to you anyway. *

I know its not that mean, but to her age group, they think its the coldest thing ever.
tlcory
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Unfortunately it is how the child is being raised, my children were taught to be nice,  polite and show respect to everyone and to this day as adults they still do.  I get complimented all the time on how polite and respectful my kids were as children and how they are now as adults.  Yes, I do pat myself on the back for that! Lol   I'm sorry your son is being treated like that, the only thing you can do is make sure he knows its not him but the ones with issues are the ones that are acting that way, sounds like you are doing a great job Mama, keep it up! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:25 AM
I can't believe your kid doesn't like people who are older than 90 lol

I know what you mean. I went trick or treating with a friend of DDs and her mom, they were about 9 at the time, we walked by a little boy (maybe 6-7) and he says to her DD "I know you from school" her DD replied "psst I don't talk to you" with the snotty noise and all. I was so embarrassed and felt bad for the kid. Her mom didn't say anything to her. Smh
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)