Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my girls lost all their toys (except stuffed animals) tonight.........is it fair???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

I can't tell you how long I have been telling my girls (8 and almost 7) that they are responsible for keeping their room clean, that means picking up their toys, putting their stuffed animals away, putting their clothes where it belongs, putting their shoes away, and cleaning up the trash......not that hard right? Well I have been telling them that if they don't keep their room clean then I am going to take away whatever isn't put up if they don't listen to me........so I tell them to pick up their room, then they fight, then they come into my room to play, so I tell them again to go pick up their room, they go in there fight some more, then come in my room and mess around again, so I tell them one more time to go pick up their room, they go in their then they come back in my room to complain about one another, so I told them to stay in my room, and I went and picked up their room, put everything that wasn't put away in a place they won't find it......I am tired of picking up after everyone. I cook for my kids, I clean their clothes, I wash their sheets, I take them shopping, I play with them, I laugh with them, I do my best to make them happy, to see them smile, to keep them healthy, I do the best that I can do, but I am so tired of feeling like a servant........cleaning after everyone and not one person appreciating it. They got to keep their stuffed animals because those were put away.....I have no idea how long I am going to keep their toys put up, and I have no idea how to allow them to "earn" them back. I don't like doing this but they need to know I am no longer going to be a push over and that when I say something I mean it and it better get done, I feel guilty, but is it fair??

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:40 AM

What I found to be the best way was to STAND there while they were cleaning, to keep them on track.  I didn't care if they fought, whatever they did, as long as they KEPT cleaning.  Eventually - it worked.

Scinn
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:41 AM

My parents did this with me and my siblings as well.  Don't feel bad!!  Whenever my dad would have to come in and clean our room anything not put away got put into big boxes (minus any laundry or trash), and we had to earn it back.  The way we earned things out of our box was that my dad made a chart.  Pick up the living room/sweep kitchen/wipe table and counters/take out trash(es)/etc was worth one point.  Things like dishes (we were a household of 8)/scrubbing both toilets/scooping litter boxes/other nasty jobs was worth 2 points.  Each point was worth 1 thing out of the box.  So...in order to earn things out of the box of confiscation we had to do something for the home to make it right.  He had to take time away from taking care of the home to clean our room...we had to give back to the home to get our toys back.  Worked like a charm and it taught us to appreciate just how hard he had to work to maintain a family of that size and keep up the house.  (these chores were in addition to our normal daily chores.  Daily chores did NOT count toward points earned.)

KyBugsMommy815
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Sounds fair to me. I would tell them when they keep their rooms clean for X amount of days, then they can have their things back. Or you could have them do other chores to earn their things back, such as sweeping the floor, washing dishes, folding laundry, etc.

Keara20
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:47 AM
I just started doing this last week with my 2 year old. And it works!!! She has been an absolute nightmare this month about cleaning up her toys, she's more than capable. So I tell her either she does it or I do it, an if I do it she loses them for 24 hours. She's alot better about picking up toys now. She has only lost a small basket this week instead of last week where she lost an entire huge bin and a half a huge bin.

Next time, they'll pick up their toys. I wish I would have done this months ago!
Jabojoe
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:48 AM
What a great idea! My kids are older and they always pick up after themselves now but if I had only gotten this idea when they were little....

Quoting Scinn:

My parents did this with me and my siblings as well.  Don't feel bad!!  Whenever my dad would have to come in and clean our room anything not put away got put into big boxes (minus any laundry or trash), and we had to earn it back.  The way we earned things out of our box was that my dad made a chart.  Pick up the living room/sweep kitchen/wipe table and counters/take out trash(es)/etc was worth one point.  Things like dishes (we were a household of 8)/scrubbing both toilets/scooping litter boxes/other nasty jobs was worth 2 points.  Each point was worth 1 thing out of the box.  So...in order to earn things out of the box of confiscation we had to do something for the home to make it right.  He had to take time away from taking care of the home to clean our room...we had to give back to the home to get our toys back.  Worked like a charm and it taught us to appreciate just how hard he had to work to maintain a family of that size and keep up the house.  (these chores were in addition to our normal daily chores.  Daily chores did NOT count toward points earned.)

tiniowien
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Mom did that with me,right now we only keep stuffed animals in her room rest are in living room 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:52 AM
I've done it too and make them earn it back. Nothing to feel guilty about. Hopefully they'll think twice next time.
Scinn
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Thankfully I had plenty of example to work with  >.<  lol  So I've done it with my 3 kids.  The only place my dad had a bit of give with was that we got to pick what we got out of the box.  It was the compromise portion. Wasn't much...but we considered it a victory.  LOL

Quoting Jabojoe:

What a great idea! My kids are older and they always pick up after themselves now but if I had only gotten this idea when they were little....

Quoting Scinn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)