• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much does your 5 yo know about AF?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
Has your 5 year old asked any questions either from seeing you or seeing/finding products? What did you answer? How much did you share?

DD has asked several times when she has seen my pads. I use cloth so she sees them come out of the laundry with diapers. I've always kind of deflected the question in the past with a quick "oh something for mommies" then changed the subject. Today she persisted.

So I said that women sometimes bleed from their vagina and that the pad is to catch the blood. I told her it doesn't hurt (okay there's cramps but at 5 she's thinking more "bad enough owie to bleed" kind of pain), and that it's not all the time, just a few days once a month.

Did I do okay? My mom never talked to me about any of this stuff so I feel clueless on this one. I have no idea what a 5 yo should know.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:24 AM
1 mom liked this

DS is 7.  DD is 5. They both know that mommies can have periods.  I told them simply that its just something that happens every month and lets you know your body is fine.  Pads are like a big bandaid that I have to use till its better.  DS asked well what if it stops.  I told him it means he could have a brother or sister on the way.  And he replied. IT BETTER NOT STOP! 

..A5HL3Y..
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:26 AM
My dd is 6, she's knows that when she gets old enough she also will have a period. She asked when, I told her I wasn't sure because its different for everyone... That was enough for her.
..A5HL3Y..
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:26 AM
I hope they know not only mommies get periods..

Quoting Anonymous:

DS is 7.  DD is 5. They both know that mommies can have periods.  I told them simply that its just something that happens every month and lets you know your body is fine.  Pads are like a big bandaid that I have to use till its better.  DS asked well what if it stops.  I told him it means he could have a brother or sister on the way.  And he replied. IT BETTER NOT STOP! 

MaddieLainesMom
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:33 AM

My DD is 6 and knows that for a few days every month Mommy has a period because she's a woman. Mommy has bleeding because her girl parts are working right (we haven't really gone into much detail about internal female organs). She also knows that when she gets bigger she'll have one. She's also aware of the symptoms that go along with having a period -- cramps, headache, etc. She knows about pads and tampons since I use both. They sit in the bathroom so she was curious and I told her. I feel like if she's asking I give an age-appropriate answer. I try not to deflect because I don't want her to stop asking!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:39 AM
1 mom liked this

When DD is older(7-8) she will know what is in store for her with better info.   Right now shes OK with what she knows.  DS is older and the one who was concerned and the explanation was for him.  He saw me wipe (not my pad) and thought I was bleeding to death. He then came to me and saw my pad and then DD walked in along with our 1 year old.  The 1 year old really doesn't care that I have a period or not.  They are a little young for technical. 

Quoting ..A5HL3Y..:

I hope they know not only mommies get periods..

Quoting Anonymous:

wonderwomen1
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:40 AM
Yeah thats perfect what you said.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
autodidact
by Snarknado on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:38 AM

i told him that every month if there isn't a baby growing the uterus sheds its lining, that's what the bleeding is. he's seen tampons in the trash. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:10 AM

I guess I'm in the minority here. Because I have boys and none of them have asked me. The pads are under my bathroom sink and no one comes into my bathroom. So ....

justone_jen
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:13 AM
Haha, it better not stop! That's awesome. "I agree, kid. I agree."

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:14 AM
Ditto

Quoting Anonymous:

I guess I'm in the minority here. Because I have boys and none of them have asked me. The pads are under my bathroom sink and no one comes into my bathroom. So ....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)