Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you find a job?*updated*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 103 Replies

Online job boards don't work. The newspaper has nothing and has been reduced to only listing on Sundays. I only know a few people and they are in the medical field (cna's, nurses, lpn's, etc.)

I need a job and right now I don't know what else to do short of walking into every business and handing them a damned resume.

Edit: I'm looking for administrative work but that doesn't mean I won't do anything else. I have, and still, check out places physically. So hopefully the wonderful women who have nothing better to do than make weak ass assumptions will find something to say that actually makes sense. The last job fair I went to was earlier this year. They took resume's and handed me cards or sheets that sent me to their websites to apply. I did go through the state and took a civil service exam for a job. I still browse that frequently. I'm going to try the craigslist idea as suggested by a few of you. Thanks to everyone who offered ideas. It's nice to know I'm not going crazy when I feel like job searching has changed a bit.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
funlovinlady
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:38 AM
2 moms liked this

Walk into businesses & ask if they are hiring. If they are fill out an application & leave your resume.

lifeisajoy
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:38 AM
2 moms liked this

Indeed Job Alert

Snag A Job

Monsters.com

Glass Door

Your Local Online free classifieds site

Care. COm

Sitter City. Com

Craigslist

Yes going to businesses to see if they are hiring-filling out applications

That is just a few ideas-

starlight91
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:40 AM
7 moms liked this

walk into every business and ask to fill out an application. God this generation is so lazy, "POUND THE PAVEMENT" !

mcclainprincess
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:41 AM
I applied for pretty much everything online. Where i work now we do post jobs on craigslist with a link to our website. Everything for my job is done online, i don't even keep hard copies of resumes that are handed to me when ppl are looking for a job.
JTROX
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:42 AM

That is a great way to make connections with people.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:42 AM
Are you on LinkedIn?
highlandmum
by Spunky on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:42 AM
2 moms liked this

What type of job are you looking for?  There are different option out there.  It just depends on what you want, and are qualified for.

spastic_poodle
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:42 AM
I've always had success with the newspaper and craigslist. Also looking at individual business websites to see if they're hiring. And if all else fails I've been known to walk around handing my resume to locations that I want to work and having them keep it on file until they are hiring.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
weezer_cookie
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Walking into businesses and meeting people face to face is the best way to get your foot in the door.  *facepalm*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)