Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Canadian Moms! Get in here :) Got some questions for you! *ETA*

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:28 AM
  • 15 Replies

Good Morning, my lovelies! I'm an America who grew up in upstate New York pretty close to the border and now I live in South Georgia....In the last few days I've had the opportunity to talk through CM with a couple of moms from Canada about some of the differences between the countries...And it got me to thinking...and I realized, though we share a border, they don't teach about Canada in school...I know ya'll have provinces (or is it territories or both??) instead of states, that you have access to free health care and most recently about how common law marriage works...but that's it! How embarrassing!

So I'm curious :) What is it like to be Canadian? What laws are different? What customs are different? What ssumptions do you find get made about you? How many people speak French? English? Both? Are there a lot of immigrants? Where do most of them come from? How are different provinces, well, different? Do you mind the jokes, eh? ;p 

How do you feel about America? What do you think is wrong with it? What do you think is right? How much about this country do you learn in school? Have you ever visited here? What opinions have you formed by watching TV shows based in the states? (I beg you, please, never watch Honey Boo Boo! LOL) Do you think we are very different cultures? Why? 

Are there things that aggravate you about talking to the ladies here on CM? How do you handle a poster who doesn't realize you're not from the states? I can usually tell if someone is from a different country than me because of grammar and wrod choice ....Mum instead of Mom for example....though some Americans use Mum, it's not common ( or at least it hasn't been my experience ) 

I could Google a good bit of this information, but I'm after more than information...I'd like to hear about experiences and opinions :) I'd really like to expand my knowledge and have the pleasure of talking with people :) I'd like to answer questions ya'll might have, too :) You can't get that from Google, LOL 

** Edit** If you're from elsewhere and would like to answer these question, please do! The more the merrier :D**

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tlcory
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Bump because I'm curious to some of the answers! Btw I love Canada and Canadians! I

shimmifairy
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:42 AM

BUMP!

shimmifairy
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Where is everyone? LOL! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Can I answer? I'm from Australia...

shimmifairy
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Yes! Please!!

Quoting Anonymous:

hotmommytutu
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I can tell you this, as an American living in Canada for the last 11 yrs.....we're not very well liked here.  

shimmifairy
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Oh, wow....Do you know why? 

Quoting hotmommytutu:

I can tell you this, as an American living in Canada for the last 11 yrs.....we're not very well liked here.  

hotmommytutu
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:10 AM

It's assumed that we come over for the free health care and benefits.  Livinig in a bordertown, Canada or my town anyways, thinks mosts Americans are out to steal and take from the Canandians.  I don't tell people my kids are half Canadian, it's that bad!

Quoting shimmifairy:

Oh, wow....Do you know why? 

Quoting hotmommytutu:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Okay, so I'm only basing this off what I know (adn admittedly assume) about America in comparison to my part of Australia. (Like anywhere, different places in a country vary).

What's it like to be Australia - Honestly, it's pretty chill. I man, the place could use some improvements, but I'm not complaining.

Different Laws - I would assume a lot! We certainly have different gun laws (since this is always a hot topic), and different road rules/laws.

Customs - We don't do thanksgiving generally, for obvious reasons. Also, christmas is generally a bbq at a mates place with drinks, a game or two of poker and did I mention drinks?

Assumptions - That we all talk in some sembelence like Steve Irwin. We don't, by the way, he was a rarety amongst us.

English/french etc - I think that the moment we have a lot of asian languages being spoken. Obviously English is the main language, but branching onto your immegrants question, we get so many internationals moving over here.

What do I think is wrong with America? - What's not? No offence, but your health system sucks, like majorly, your gun laws are too lax, your schools sound atrocious, the helicopter parenting freaks me out etc.

What is right? - I'm not sure, you guys have some pretty awesome recipes and ice cream, oh and donuts.

How much learnt at school - Little to none, we had to learn enough to know the USA's effect on our economy and some cultural differences, but other than that, America didn't matter to us.

Visited? No.

Tv shows - Well COPS doesn't make me think any better of ya's, but a few other sit coms/ soapies raise my assumptions and expectations a bit.

Different cultures? - Heck yes, and mostly because Aussies are seen as so much 'ruder', it's not that we are, really, it's just everyone else is taught to hide what they're thinking etc.

Aggrivating CMers - Are you kidding me? Lol.

Handling posters who are naive - With a lot of sarcasm.

Feel free to ask me anything.

Quoting shimmifairy:

Yes! Please!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Acid
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I'm Canadian.

Our laws are not radically different.  We have pretty much the same rules you do...and, as you do, we have people who don't follow them.  Charges will be laid if there are reasonable grounds to do so.  Otherwise you have to go through courts and so on.

I don't mind the jokes.  I find most of them funny.  The one thing I did giggle over was when I went to visit the States last year..we stopped at the Toledo Zoo and I mentioned something to a man from Ohio about zoos in Canada.  He said, and I quote, 'Do ya'll have a big zoo there in Canada'  It was all I  could do to not laugh out loud at him...I said 'Canada is a huge country, we have more than one zoo'.

We have both Provinces and Territories.  Our newest Territory is Nunavut.  It was formed in 1999.  It is Canada's largest and northernmost Territory.  It is pronounced 'NOON A VOOT' (the last word rhymes with foot)

I'm actually quite amazed at how little people know about Canada.  We were taught American history in our schools.  Yes, we have free health care but there are some things we have to pay for.  Diabetes supplies, prescriptions, glasses, contacts and so on are out of pocket...unless you are on welfare or your husband's job or your job provides health care benefits.  We do not pay for doctor's visits, ER. visits, hospital stays, having a baby and other medical visits.

I speak English.  My husband can speak English, French (when he starts speaking French it makes me..oh, wait, what was I talking about), he understands some German as well.  There are many different languages in many different provinces and Territories.  Some of those languages include French, North and South Slave (the e is long so it's pronoucned Slay-vee), Dene, Ojibwe, Cree, Cantonese, Spanish, Gaelic and several types of Sign Language.

Provinces and Territories differ as much as States do.  The East Coast provinces are called the Maritime Provinces, they include Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.  On our Atlantic coast the Maritimes include Newfoundland and Labrador.

In my province, Ontario, we house both the capitals of Canada (Ottawa) and the capital of Ontario (Toronto)

What do I love about Canada?  I can't pick just one thing.  Our Maritime history, our lands, our people, the vastness and beauty of Canada.   What don't I like?  Our Prime Minister and his lack of commitment to climate change, the environment and his closing of large factories that throw hundreds out of work. 

WHEW!!  Anything else, just ask.

Only when the last tree has been cut down,
Only when the last river has been poisoned,
Only when the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

— Cree Indian Prophecy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)