Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you a laid back mom?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:30 AM
  • 136 Replies
2 moms liked this
I consider myself a laid back mom

My son had his first sleep over at 6 months, I have a large extended family and everyone wanted time with him so at 6 months I was finally ok with letting him spend the weekend with my cousin. He regularly spends the night over there and when they go to their summer house for 2-4 weeks I usually let him go. He rides atvs and goes camping and hunting and I don't worry that something will happen to him because I trust my cousin and her husband.

Last year I decided he was old enough to ride his bike the .3 miles from school so he and girly rode their bikes home from first grade and they will do the same this year. They never have to cross the street and they stay on the sidewalk and there are always tons of parents and kids around so I feel its a way for him to exert his independence. I admit I was nervous the first week but I waited outside every day for them and plan to the same when school starts in a few weeks.

Yesterday I let him go to the restroom at chick fil a alone. I watched the door like a hawk and I was only a few tables away but again its a way for him to be independent.

These are just a few examples and I'm sure there will be some moms who think I'm neglecting him but he's a happy well adjusted polite child and I think how I'm raising him works great for him and I.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hreynol25
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:33 AM
3 moms liked this
No I'm not. I'm a worry wart.

Lol at 6months I didn't even let him stay with hubby alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Why couldn't you trust your husband to watch his son at 6 months?

My fiancΓ© and I are talking babies and when we have one I will probably go back to work after a couple weeks and when he's home he will watch the baby so I don't have to take him/her to work with me.

Quoting hreynol25:

No I'm not. I'm a worry wart.

Lol at 6months I didn't even let him stay with hubby alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitschy
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:36 AM

It depends. I consider pretty laid back about independence. As soon as the kids seem ready for something, I let them do it. They are 5 and 3 and they play outside without me. We don't have a fenced in back yard or anything, but I look out the windows if I don't hear them. My daughter wants to go ziplining. I've stalled a bit but I haven't told her no. We'll probably do it next summer. That being said, if we're at a restaurant I don't think people would consider me laid back. If my children don't use their manners, or are not sitting in their seats, I will take them outside. If a child talks back to me, I don't let it go. So in some ways I'm "laid back" in other ways I'm strict.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Oh manners are big around here, I don't let him stand up in a booth or get loud or run around and he must say please and thank you. I am strict when it comes to manners.

Quoting Kitschy:

It depends. I consider pretty laid back about independence. As soon as the kids seem ready for something, I let them do it. They are 5 and 3 and they play outside without me. We don't have a fenced in back yard or anything, but I look out the windows if I don't hear them. My daughter wants to go ziplining. I've stalled a bit but I haven't told her no. We'll probably do it next summer. That being said, if we're at a restaurant I don't think people would consider me laid back. If my children don't use their manners, or are not sitting in their seats, I will take them outside. If a child talks back to me, I don't let it go. So in some ways I'm "laid back" in other ways I'm strict.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
s.osborne
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm this way as well. Along with learning the hard way. If I tell/suggest my son not to do something and he asks "Why?" I say "Ya know what, go ahead and see what happens." They'll learn eventually.

Quoting Kitschy:

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Lol I've done that too. The worst was running through the house with socks on over the hardwood floor. After suggesting taking the socks off and repeadtly telling him to quit running in the house I said you know what? Let him learn the hardway. Sadly he fell down FOUR times before he decided to take his socks off :/

Quoting s.osborne:

I'm this way as well. Along with learning the hard way. If I tell/suggest my son not to do something and he asks "Why?" I say "Ya know what, go ahead and see what happens." They'll learn eventually.

Quoting Kitschy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoxStetz
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Yes, I am pretty laid back.
CutieCrab
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I consider myself laid back... But I don't trust other people to take my son...  My brother the other day said hed take my son bike riding... Im like Ummm.....  Makes me nervous. My son is smart though, knows not to cross the street w/o an adult and knows to stay on the side walk. He is 5... 

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:48 AM
3 moms liked this
Yes & no.

My doctor had to up my meds so I could be laid back.

I have the amazing ability to see what could go wrong and then it spirals out of control from there.

So my meds allow me to give my son the independence he needs/wants.

So I'm not naturally laid back but I am thanks to modern medicine. Lol
mom2the.rescue
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Everyone thinks I'm a laid back mom, and I know I probably am...but I don't feel like it lol.  I feel like a nervous wreck sometimes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN