Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think studies linking breastfeeding to intelligence help moms?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:37 AM
  • 219 Replies
2 moms liked this

For the 1,000th Time Breastfed Babies Are Smarter: Now Can We Please Get Some Support?

by Adriana Velez

breastfeedingHey guess what? Science is here to tell you something you've already been told a hundred bajillion times: Breastfed babies are smarter than formula-fed babies. Yet another study has gone and proven that babies who drank from the font of mama bountiful during their first months of life scored higher on intelligence tests later on. How much higher? For every month the babies were breastfed, they got a 0.3 point advantage by age 3, and a 0.5 point advantage by age 7.

The study included 1,300 babies and controlled for all other factors, like the parents' intelligence and income. So great. Is this just another study designed to make moms who can't breastfeed feel guilty? That was my first thought -- what about all the women I know who tried, but just couldn't produce enough milk? But forget the guilt trip for a minute. Here's who I think could really use this study.

I think it could be most helpful to new moms who want to breastfeed -- even after they return to work. The study's lead author, Dr. Mandy Belfort, says, "I can understand as well as anyone the challenges of continuing to breastfeed once a mom goes back to work. I think our findings definitely support an investment in helping moms breastfeed their babies." By the way, Dr. Belfort is a mother of three kids.

So this isn't about guilting moms who can't or won't breastfeed. This is about giving moms who can and want to breastfeed more support. If you want to keep breastfeeding after you return to work, you've got one more study in your corner supporting your decision -- and also nudging companies to do the right thing.

By now, I think just about every mid-sized to large company with offices provides some sort of accommodation for nursing moms. And that's a great victory. But that's not where we all work. What about moms who wait tables or work in fast food? Moms who clean those offices? Those are the moms who need the most support. They're the ones who need more affordable breast pumps and more understanding employers. I don't know how much this study will help those women. I guess it all depends on who is really listening.

Do you think these studies linking breastfeeding to intelligence help moms?

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:43 AM
7 moms liked this

I do not think they are true at all. My formula fed daughter is reading at a 3 grade level in kindergarten and got the furtherst in her sight words than any other child in her class. I dont think you can prove they are smarter at all. The only way to prove that is to breast feed a child do the testing then take them back to infancy and formula feed them then do the same tests to prove if its true and since you cant do that I dont feel the tests can be accurate because every child is different and some kids are smarter than others.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:45 AM
30 moms liked this
Look, formula has only been around for how many decades? It's a man made test tube chemical concoction that will never accurately mimic what nature and human evolution have taken million of years to perfect. It just can't.

Formula was meant to help the babies who for what ever reason didn't have acces to breast milk. It was supposed to be a last resort not an immediate go to.

We have no commercialized formula and breast to such an extreme that something as simple and natural as feeing our young is now something we pay for. Numbers don't lie. There is a reason that the number of women who couldn't breast feed has risen substantially since the development and commercialization of formula. There is also a reason that cancers, obesity and other things have also risen.

If you want to overlook these things and want to choose to feed your babies something man made, processed, and unnatural than that is your choice to make.

Studies like these are important so that more women can become knowledgeable on a subject that we har become separated from.
LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:46 AM
This

Quoting Anonymous:

I do not think they are true at all. My formula fed daughter is reading at a 3 grade level in kindergarten and got the furtherst in her sight words than any other child in her class. I dont think you can prove they are smarter at all. The only way to prove that is to breast feed a child do the testing then take them back to infancy and formula feed them then do the same tests to prove if its true and since you cant do that I dont feel the tests can be accurate because every child is different and some kids are smarter than others.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMommaBear
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:48 AM
I don't believe it either. I was never given a drop of breast milk and I've always been way ahead in my class. Reading at a 5th grade level in the 2nd grade, reading at an 8th grade reading level in 5th grade and in middle school I was reading at college level... Sorry but intelligence is something you earn. I earned my higher reading and math skills by reading constantly and always doing more math than needed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:49 AM
8 moms liked this
Facts are facts. No need to sheild anyone from the truth just in case they might feel bad.
justbreatheOx
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
My dd was ff and she is she is very intelligent. Very advanced and rarely sick.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Intelligence is not the same thing as education.

Quoting ProudMommaBear:

I don't believe it either. I was never given a drop of breast milk and I've always been way ahead in my class. Reading at a 5th grade level in the 2nd grade, reading at an 8th grade reading level in 5th grade and in middle school I was reading at college level... Sorry but intelligence is something you earn. I earned my higher reading and math skills by reading constantly and always doing more math than needed.

Cmgmqmmom
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:51 AM
22 moms liked this

I think what will happen with this post is there will be a bunch of women who don't or didn't breastfeed that will give anecdotal evidence of how their non-bf kid is smart anyways.

I have no idea if bf makes a kid smarter than their peers, but repeated studies showing this can't all be wrong. The studies don't say "FF kids can't be smart", it just says that BF kids tend to be smarter. There is no reason to get all bent out of shape about it. There are always going to be smart BF kids and not as smart BF kids just like there will be smart FF kids and not as smart FF kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

This was the case for my formula fed twins too. It has everything to do with the amount of attentioin spent on the child/children to learn. it makes a tremendous difference.

No, I don't think it helps moms at all. Breastfeeding has been around since the dawn of human kind and people still act as if it's the worse thing they've ever seen. *shrug* What are you going to do? I was breast fed but my twins weren't- not that I have anything against breasteeding. If I could have, I would have. But if I'm a mom in public and my child needs to breastfeed, I dgaf where I am- I'm whipping out my breast and feeding my child. I wouldn't worry about modesty or what people think- it's happening! But no, I don't think it makes for more intelligent children.

Quoting Anonymous:

LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
My ff son has always been smarter and healthier than his bf brother.
My niece is smarter and healthier than her bf brother.
Studies and statistics can be tweaked to say whatever you want them too.
Why is this always such a freaking issue on here?
Everyone does what they think is beat for THEIR family and everyone else should MYOB!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)