Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you open gifts in front of guests?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies

and for what kind of parties?

Kids' birthdays?
Weddings
Engagement/wedding parties?

I'm noticing more and more that parents don't open gifts during kids' parties. They have been waiting until the party is over. When I was growing up, we all had to sit through watching the birthday child open presents (sometimes for half an hour or longer) and then the kid had to share with all the other kids.

Thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:08 AM

not at kids parties. The other kids aren't that interested and it cuts into the party time. Not at weddings.

you open gifts publically at SHOWERS-because the purpose of a shower is to SHOWER the honoree with gifts!

nyxiemist
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:09 AM

The only one I have ever thought it was acceptable to not open gifts in front of guests is a wedding. It's ridiculous not to open them for other parties.

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Birthdays - yes. Showers- yes. People like to see you open what they took time to buy.

A wedding- no. I don't feel it appropriate to open money envelopes at the reception. We did that after the honeymoon. ;)
angelachristine
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:12 AM

showers and birthday parties yes and no to weddings.

luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:13 AM

We like to see the kids expressions, or lack of, when they open their presents. For kids parties, we announce presents are being opened, they don't have to come watch if they don't want to, they can play, but most kids like to see.

mommybug77
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:18 AM
I never make my kids share with anyone else even if they do open at a party. No one here has engagement parties, not sure what a wedding party is. No one here opens at a wedding either
Bigmetalchicken
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Not at weddings. But at the assorted bridal and baby showers, and birthday parties, yes. 

You know what has become a 'thing' now that annoys me? When people pass out the generic thank you cards, where they only write in the gift, at the end of the party. I think that is so freaky tacky. I would rather recieve no thank you note than that shit. Because with no note, you can at least assume that the person 1) Is very busy and just did not get around to it, or 2) Was never taught better.

But those fill in the blank cards are just pathetic. You may as well just rip a sheet of paper out of a spiral and write, "I don't actually feel any gratitude for the trouble you went through to purchase a nice gift. Get bent!"

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:22 AM

We do.  IMO it's part of the fun of celebrating.  The kids at Naeem's parties seem very interested.  Heck, I like watching myself!

Idk about actual weddings because i've only been to a few and do not recall gifts at the wedding (i do recall gifts at the wedding shower which is not usually the same day for the ones ive been to).  Now baby, housewarming and wedding showers we do because again that is part of the fun.  Atleast it's fun for me as I like to see what others got! 

Usually we do not open up toys at the party.  We usually set everything out on a table so others can see upclose what the birthday kid got. 

angelmom3569
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Birthdays and showers because that is why the gifts were bought, however, I don't make my kids share their gifts as the first day they are the only ones who get to play with them. After that first day, then they have to share with others. I also don't really see anything wrong with opening gifts at the reception, if that is what the bride and groom want to do. 

AngryBob
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

i've heard so many horror stories of brats at parties ruining the fun for the birthday kid, while their parents just watched and let them here on cm.

i'm so torn on that idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)