Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Paid maternity and paternity leave.

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:34 AM
  • 121 Replies

Prince Willy's team just announced that he will be taking 2-3 weeks of paternity leave to care for his new baby boy. Now people are pointing out how far behind America is, yet again, when it comes to paid maternity and paternity leave.

Do you think America should give it's mothers 6 months to a year of paid leave and it's fathers 3-4 weeks?  If you agree, where do you think the money will come from to create these programs? Would you consider this a hand out?

EDIT: Since so many of you agree, I have to ask you; WHERE DOES THE MONEY TO PAY FOR THESE PROGRAMS COME FROM?

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:34 AM
4 moms liked this

I don't think America should adopt these systems. We give enough handouts to new parents as it is. *cough cough WIC* At what point do people stop holding their hands out and learn to work hard for what they want? If you feel the need to take a year off from work, well then work hard and save the money to do so. Stop asking other people to pay for your mistakes.

If we are ever foolish enough to adopt this program, I can see much of the burden being placed on the taxes of the 1%. Lets get real, we middle classmen NEVER want our taxes raised.

These programs are not only sexist, but a hand out for people's lack of planning and a true example of entitlement at its finest. All and all, they just donkey ass. 

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Ummmm I got six week maternity leave. If I have. Vacation or PTO then I got paid. If I didn't I still got the 6 weeks off just didn't get paid. I think fathers should be allowed to take leave when a new baby comes. I also think 6 weeks for mom is to short.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:38 AM
6 moms liked this
America is one of 3 first world country without paid leave. Makes you wonder what other countries have figured out that we have not. All the other countries have more focus on families, higher rates of happiness, less crime and violence.
ELFs_Mommy
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:40 AM
My DH already has the opportunity to take off 3-4 weeks for paternity leave under the FMLA. I don't think every job offers pay during that time, but DH is lucky enough to have a job that does he could also take more time off if needed and would still get paid. I don't see a problem with offering paid maternity or paternity leave so long as the person has a job, and is not abusing any of the welfare systems.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:40 AM
I got paid maternity leave and my dh got paternity. We both worked for local government in the US.
supermama322
by Kaylee on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I think so, yes.

I'm in Canada. We get a year paid, or we can divide it between parents. 6 months each.

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM
2 moms liked this

Why can't we focus on personal responsibility?  If you want to take a year with your child, work hard and plan before you have said child. That is your responsibility, not the rest of us.

*general you*

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

America is one of 3 first world country without paid leave. Makes you wonder what other countries have figured out that we have not. All the other countries have more focus on families, higher rates of happiness, less crime and violence.

Toxic.Stardust
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:42 AM

DH got two weeks off work whe DD2 was born. We didn't get WIC either. Guess I don't see my children as mistakes....Many many other countries have paid maternity and paternity leae, seems like they have figured out how to make it work. America hasn't.

Elle.tea.22
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
6 months? No. The company shouldn't have to pay for your choices.
Tannaris
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Not every child is a mistake SMH. Way to generalize.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)