Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O - When to tell dd about AF?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

The other post "how much does 5yr old know about AF" got me thinking....

I have already been told that it is time to tell my dd about AF, what is to be expected and all that jazz.

Based off of family history, along with her recent interest in training bras, I agree that the time is quickly approaching for her to start, but I am unsure of how to go about it and what to say. She asked me a couple of weeks ago, "what do you use those (tampons) for?" and due to the fact that we were in the middle of the store, I simply avoided the question. She didn't bring it up again, so I just let it go.

However, after discussing it with a friend yesterday and seeing that post about it today, I am seriously beginning to believe it is time to dicuss it with dd. 

I honestly do not remember having a conversation about AF with my mother, though I am sure there was one, so I have nothing to reference which is why I am now asking here.

If you have already told your dd, how old was she, what did you say, and how did she react?

Also, since you're bound to ask, my dd will be 9 this year.

Bash if you must, I am just looking for some advice.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
erin708
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM
I would start now esp if she's asking. I had many friends get there's at 10.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ElitestJen
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:50 AM

With my daughter, we did it at about 8 or 9.  She started when she was 12.  She was grossed out at the conversation, but very bored with it by the time she started.  LOL  Actually, she was annoyed.  "Mom, *siiiigh* I started my stupid period."

slashteddy
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:51 AM
My DD is only 8 months. We'll probably start discussing it around 5. I started when I was 7, my mom started when she was 9.
ShesALady
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:55 AM
I was just always honest when my kids asked questions. My daughters are 6 and my oldest just turned 8. They've known about a period for a while because they've seen me use pads. I would definitely talk to her about it. The best approach is to be honest when your kids ask you questions. Good luck :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Thanks for the input so far ladies!

I started at 11, my cousin at 9, I'm unsure when my mom and sister started and I hadn't heard of anyone starting any earlier than 9 until now. It's crazy to think my baby girl will be hitting puberty soon! lol

Hopefully we do have a few more years until she starts, but I definitely want her to be prepared for when it does happen.

Any specific advice/suggestions on how to begin the conversation, or what to/not to say?

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:14 PM

since my kids always follow me to the bathroom, they all have an abstract understanding of a period by the time they're toddlers.  i've explained it in more detail to my 7 yo dd.

Talienas
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Youngest DD is almost 6 and has asked about pads (which she calls both pads and tampons) and recently I've explained that unfortunately girls bleed down there 1 week a month and that's why we use them. Not like a diaper that catches pee. And when she's older she will use them too. She was shocked but seemed somewhat ok with the idea. I'll explain more as she gets older but she's still 5. The basics was enough.
drowningmama
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I always knew about AF - because my mom was very open about hers --- maybe too open about it! Anyway - my dd is almost 9. I have been telling her off and on about AF. Not too much to overwhelm her. It embarrasses her and I have a friend with 2 DDs and we will sit and talk and I say: I get AF. And my friend then says: I get AF too. That breaks down the embarrassment.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)