Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Only skinny moms should breastfeed and seeing a fat woman breastfeed is child abuse!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

This was basically what I was told when I was breastfeeding my daughter. We were in a Domestic Violence shelter because I had escaped an abusive relationship with my two childrens' father. There were two of us breastfeeding babies at the time. The other mom was skinny, but would whip her boobs out to feed her baby anywhere. I would try to find a private place, but that was often difficult in the small house that we were living in. There were times I would take her out of our room to nurse at night in the lobby area so that I wouldn't disturb my roommates and because the couch was more comfortable than the metal dining room chairs. I would keep a shirt or a blanket over her, but she often would push them aside.

One night the shelter staff pulled me into their booth and told me that breastfeeding in the common area was disturbing and there was a chance that seeing me breastfeed my child would reabuse children who had been abused sexually. I mentioned that they had never had this talk with the other mother and was told that because my breasts were so much larger that it was more disturbing than a slim mother breastfeeding.

This disturbs me almost 10 years later. I was already in a difficult situation. I was doing my best to take care of my child by breastfeeding her and here I was told that I was a sexual abuser. I pray to God that no other woman went through that situation. I moved to a larger, more friendly in general shelter that week as soon as a space for us opened. (I called every hour, on the hour, in the hopes something would open there.)

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:07 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

That's fucked up. That's good old 'Merica for you. 

pinkfairy0206
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow that's unbelivable,the stupidity of ppl. I'm so sorry to hear of you're situation. But apploud you for being so strong!
staceysgorbach
Running through the post naked!
mrs_nielson
That's so wrong!!! You were definitely discriminated against! Good for you for doing what was best for you and your babies!!
Cutenessmom
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Sheer  discrimination  and those people should of been  sued!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for your troubles.

dudestfd
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:17 PM

O.o

Nelliechanelle
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:22 PM

That is the dumbest thing I ever heard of. ALL women can breatfeed their babies. We can show what it is like tou for you breastfeed our babies. You keep on with it until you stop or the babies no longer wants it. I had breastfed my children and yes I was fat too. But do you think I gave a damn about it. That is ridulous on how they treat something that is keeping us to safe money on formals that would give our babies ear infections to something that is health, it is just insane. I love you, my sista' keep the faith in God. People will reap what they sow. Thank you for your story.

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:24 PM
That's horrible!
My grandmother never came right out and said it but she has told me more than once breasts are sexual, not for feeding :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2ltlmonkeyz
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I am sorry :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)