• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Play date with a single dad? -Update-

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
Update- okayyy, so I'm definitely being silly! Just received a text from him.
"Hey, I have a late meeting, so I'm going to have to push the time back. Would after dinner work? If that sounds too late to come by, we would be happy to meet you at the park so the boys can all still get some playtime in! Let me know."

How considerate and respectful, no? Yay for new friends!

My boys and I just moved into a new apartment complex, and were out walking our dog, when the cutest little kid comes up and asks of he can let the pup. He's an 11 year old chihuahua, and a little skittish, but as my son is in need of some new friends in the area, I said sure. The boys instantly hit it off, and the kid asked if we could come play. I said I'd need to meet his parents first, but that should be fine. Well, turns out his dad was just over by the mailboxes, and came to introduce himself. He also asked if the boys would like to play for a bit. They live just one building over from us, so this seemed perfect! We sat and had a cup of coffee and chatted while the kids played outside, and I found out he was a single dad. Now, I am married, and my husband is currently overseas. This was one of the first things I mentioned to him because he did ask what I did (I was wearing scrubs) and what my husband did. He was nothing but nice and respectful, and we all had a great time. He asked a lot about my husband, and seemed genuinely appreciative of his service. I asked my neighbor about him, and he said he was a really nice guy and appeared to be a great dad.

When I got home, I immediately sent my DH a message to call me. When he did I told him about our new friends, and wanted his opinion. I don't let my kids play alone yet, as they are only 2 and 4, so I would be hanging out with the dad as well. DH is totally cool with it, and excited that the boys potentially have a good friend, who lives so close.

So, here's MY concern. I generally like to have my kids help me bake treats to take to play dates, or when we have someone over, and i go out of my way to get to know the parents well, so we are all super comfortable. I also generally find myself being friends with other female military spouses, who understand how difficult it is moving all the time, making new friends, and feeling comfortable around new people. I want to make a solid effort with this new friend as well, but I absolutely do NOT want to give him the wrong idea. I am HAPPILY married, and I Plan to stay that way!
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Dont flirt with him and you wont give him the wrong idea. If he flirts with you, shut it down immediately.

muzzyh
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:04 PM
2 moms liked this
Make him cookies. He probably won't assume that cookies for his kids mean sexy time for him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:06 PM
These are my thoughts! Lol. I guess I'm just nervous because in the military it's not generally acceptable for someone's wife to be hanging out with, say, a single soldier. Kids or not. I've spent almost a decade having only female friends, save for my friends back home!

Quoting muzzyh:

Make him cookies. He probably won't assume that cookies for his kids mean sexy time for him.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Don't flirt with him.  It really is that easy.  Not all men are mindless dogs, you know.  ;)

Make him cookies, treat him like you would any other parent on a playdate.  If he gets flirty, end the playdate.  He'll quickly pick up on the cue that some things are not going to go over well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Well, that's sure no problem! I'm not flirty at all. I THINK I'm flirting with DH, and he complains that I never do! Lol!

Quoting thenameshailie:

Dont flirt with him and you wont give him the wrong idea. If he flirts with you, shut it down immediately.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:08 PM
I know they're not ;) I've just spent half my life around other married women, that I'm nervous!

DH thinks I'm being silly, and said the same thing. Ha. I'm 100% sure he's right!

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Don't flirt with him.  It really is that easy.  Not all men are mindless dogs, you know.  ;)

Make him cookies, treat him like you would any other parent on a playdate.  If he gets flirty, end the playdate.  He'll quickly pick up on the cue that some things are not going to go over well.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM

If you know other Moms in the area, you could help him make connections and make it a social ring.  It might help with that "military wife around a single man" thing.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know they're not ;) I've just spent half my life around other married women, that I'm nervous!

DH thinks I'm being silly, and said the same thing. Ha. I'm 100% sure he's right!

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this
This has Lifetime movie written all over it. Husband is away, wife meets single father, they have play dates, eat cookies and then one thing leads to another...lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:12 PM
I don't really know anyone, yet! I am in my home state, but about 60 miles from my hometown. I've gotten really good at making friends, though, moving so often. So I think that's a good idea! Try to get a few people that live around here together ;) thanks!

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

If you know other Moms in the area, you could help him make connections and make it a social ring.  It might help with that "military wife around a single man" thing.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

If this concerns you invite a friend along with her kids-making it seem less date like!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)