Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i gave my grandma her insulin shot

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
My grandma just got out of the hospital and her endocrinologist told her to take insulin for 3 months then she can go back to taking her pill for her diabetes. Well, since i don't work right now I'm taking care of her and i give her the shots. Today when i was putting the safety cap back on the needle after using it, the tip of the needle came out of the side of the cap, I'm not sure how, and pricked the side of my left index finger. I started to bleed. I know my grandma doesn't have hiv or aids or anything like that so I'm not worried about that. I'm worried because,well, it was a used needle. Isn't that a bad thing?

*Update* just want to clarify that when i say that i put the safety cap back on u an throwing it in a special box we have for the used needles and then we take the used needles to the doctor for them to dispose of properly as we were directed to do by the hospital staff. We are not reusing needles.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Typically the fear with used needles is that the other person who used the needles has an infectious disease.  If your grandmother is healthy I don't think you have too much to worry about.  If you are worried let your doctor know.

darcibeisheim
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Usually the concern with a dirty needle is diseases such as HIV , hepatitis,ect.  Sometimes you have to worry about the med in the needle too 

just insulin, if you are healthy I don't think you have too much to worry about. Call your doctor just to be safe. 

And for future it's not safe to recap needles

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:19 PM
If she is healthy otherwise you should be fine.
I prick myself all the time with my grandmothers Rebif needles, it's all good!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:21 PM
See if you can get a needle clipper from the pharmacy to dispose of the needle and a sharps container to dispose of the biohazard material safely
malibucj
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:23 PM

If your grandma has no infectious diseases you will be fine.

Val99
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I agree with this post.  I had a diabetic dog and always had a sharps container for needle disposal.

Quoting Anonymous:

See if you can get a needle clipper from the pharmacy to dispose of the needle and a sharps container to dispose of the biohazard material safely

wolfybaby
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM

its only a bad thing if your grandma has hiv or aids [or hepatitis or other various std's, etc etc].

im sure youre fine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM
How many times have you used and re-caped? My fiance is type 1 and I give him injections quite often. We recap a few times and although this is not usually recommended, we do it and most doctors and nurses are fine with it in the home. Anyway, I would only be concerned about infectious diseases or possibly introduction of bacteria from a previously used needle. If she has no known infectious diseases and you haven't recapped this particular needle, you should be fine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:42 PM
I will look into a needle Clipper. We do have a box that we are putting the used needles into and then we're bringing them to the doctor for them to dispose of.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:45 PM
When i say recap, i don't mean we are reusing. I am putting the safety cap back on then putting it in a special box that we are taking to the doctor for disposal.
Should i not be putting the cap back on for disposal?

Quoting darcibeisheim:

Usually the concern with a dirty needle is diseases such as HIV , hepatitis,ect.  Sometimes you have to worry about the med in the needle too 

just insulin, if you are healthy I don't think you have too much to worry about. Call your doctor just to be safe. 

And for future it's not safe to recap needles

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)