• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bank holding pay check?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 99 Replies

Has your bank held you pay check before? This has happened several times. My Husband will deposit but it wont clear our account for a week- 10 days sometimes. My Husband went in yesterday and was told any check over a certain amount is held! He of course was upset by this because its his bi monthly pay and we don't get it till its nearly the next pay period! She told him the bank manger is the only person that can approve ending the hold but now we have to figure out if we have to do that in person for each deposit or will they just add it from here out!!! Ugh off to the bank again to chat with her! Its kind of silly considering its coming from a company! Does that happen to anyone else? I wonder if we should bank with someone else now?

****added info. His company doesn't offer direct and yesterday he went to his company's bank to cash the check and took the cashier check to ours.. They still are holding more than half of it. It happens anytime our check is over a certain amount, under that its pends for a day and goes in.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherhalf
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Can his company do direct deposit for him?
Logan_Bellasmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Our check is direct deposited so we dont have to deal with waiting for money

MissmeMissme
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM

You should set up direct deposit if you can. Then it will be available right away. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Quoting anotherhalf:

Can his company do direct deposit for him?
Actually they wont! I much prefer direct but they don't offer it. She told us that it didn't matter though, they will "pend" direct or drop off.
Cmgmqmmom
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Is the account new? When I worked for a bank we held all checks unless they were government checks, for 7-10 days when the account was new.

Legally the first $100 needs to be made available the next business day, but any other funds can be held at the bank's discretion.

Decemberlov
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:27 PM

my bank will give me $300 that day and the rest a day later.

TD use to hold my check for a week or more even though the paycheck was drawnon their bank - one of the many reasons I left them.

AuntieM
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Is it an out of state company?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM

We have direct deposit. Have you had alot of overdrafts or unpaid items recently? They will put a hold on all activity on your account for awhile if you have to make sure items are paid properly. If not, I would look into switching banks, there is no way we could wait up to 10 days for our money,bill got to be paid, kids need to be fed.

darcibeisheim
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Just because its from a company means nothing. My paycheck bounced.  Take the check to the bank it's drawn on and cash it then deposit cash into your account

dee06
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I bank with the bank that my check comes from so I can cash it and then doeposit it so it is made available right away. Any chance you can bank at the same bank the check comes from?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)