Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O increasing minimum wage

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:25 PM
  • 70 Replies
5 moms liked this
I find it hard to believe how many people are appalled at the idea of increasing minimum wage to $10 an hour. Working full time, they would still only be making $20k a year. They're not even asking to be out of poverty, just a higher level of poverty.

If McDonalds increased wages of all their employees by 50%, and passed the cost to the customers, do you know how much that would increase the cost of a Big Mac by? $0.25

And we are so appalled at raising minimum wage, but why do we not care about the CEOs making tens to hundreds of millions of dollars while their employees cannot afford the basic necessities of life? If they care about their employees and their customers, they would take a minuscule pay decrease to ensure their employees were taken care of without passing the cost on to their customers.
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
avulgamo
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Shameless bump
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Oregon has a high minimum wage

Every year they raised it, everything cost wise went up and it helped no one

Eta: not to mention the cost was so high for my employer raises are hard to come by
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:48 PM
I don't care what they make minimum wage, but I think it's naive to think they'd only raise their prices by a quarter. They're a business trying to maximize profit, raising minimum wage would increase prices substantially more and use the excuse of the increased minimum wage. The math wouldn't matter.

And the big wigs to take a pay cut to cover the higher costs is as likely as seeing a unicorn on your afternoon walk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:50 PM
2 moms liked this
.25 times everything you buy is a lot.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:50 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm against raising minimum wage BECAUSE of the CEOs making millions. We should be making laws that would force that money to trickle down to the workers, like that the lowest-paid employee has to make a certain percentage of the CEO's salary. That's what will actually change things, not just arbitrarily raising the minimum wage for everyone regardless of the work they're doing or how well off their company is.

xredstarsx
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:51 PM
3 moms liked this
I agree. I also hate when people say those jobs are just for kids. It can't work that way anymore with the percentage of minimum wage jobs. If we want all the fast food, coffee stands, cheap oil changes and retail that we have, it is to be expected that adults will have to work some of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Continued
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:52 PM

That's what's supposed to happen. Cost of living goes up so minimum wage goes up. Jeez. It's not suppose to be more money, it's supposed to keep the same quality of life as last yea

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

Eta: not to mention the cost was so high for my employer raises are hard to come by

avulgamo
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:53 PM
What is the minimum wage at now?

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

Continued
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:53 PM
2 moms liked this

A great solution!

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

I'm against raising minimum wage BECAUSE of the CEOs making millions. We should be making laws that would force that money to trickle down to the workers, like that the lowest-paid employee has to make a certain percentage of the CEO's salary. That's what will actually change things, not just arbitrarily raising the minimum wage for everyone regardless of the work they're doing or how well off their company is.

avulgamo
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM
I know they would use the increase as an excuse to raise prices. It's upsetting to see how much CEO wages have increased along with the cost of living compared to minimum wage. I wish I had the numbers in front of me right now. I just think we are misplacing our objections - why is a higher minimum absured but CEOs can make what they want?

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't care what they make minimum wage, but I think it's naive to think they'd only raise their prices by a quarter. They're a business trying to maximize profit, raising minimum wage would increase prices substantially more and use the excuse of the increased minimum wage. The math wouldn't matter.

And the big wigs to take a pay cut to cover the higher costs is as likely as seeing a unicorn on your afternoon walk.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)