Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hate going school supply shopping

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:25 PM
  • 11 Replies

Not because of how much I need to buy. They need it. 

The thing I dislike is it is so boring now!  I kinda feel bad for my kids, they are in 1, and kinder (twins going into kinder) Everything had to be a certain brand (even folders) and had to be solid colors. No cute pencils or anything like that. The only thing that was not bland could be the pencil boxes. "sigh"

I remember when I was little having the notebooks with cats and puppys and have the matching folders.  Is it like this all through elementary school?  Is it so uniform?  

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iHEAVENn
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM

No idea, my son is starting kinder as well but they only asked for crayons, glue, scissors and markers

jiffypop2207
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:29 PM
My daughters school is that way but my sons school isnt
vetNmommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:30 PM

They asked for a bit here. Well maybe not, but I have two in kinder so it seemed like a lot. lol. 

From what I remember I bought

16 glue sticks

8 packs of dry erase markers

lots of folders

lots of crayons

prang paint sets (they specifically ask for that brand)

folders

erasers

post its

and other items

Quoting iHEAVENn:

No idea, my son is starting kinder as well but they only asked for crayons, glue, scissors and markers

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:37 PM

For dd its

one school box

six 24 pack crayons

2 8pk washable markers

2pkgs antibacterial wipes

1 box ziplock baggies

1 pk washable watercolors (8ct)

Kindermat

1 4ct box play doh

2 lg boxes of kleenex

8 glue sticks

1-8oz elmers glue (did you know they dont even have that here? you can get 7 oz or 12 oz. no 8oz)

this is all for preK. We have most of it plus extras of everything just in case the teacher needs more.

vetNmommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:40 PM

lol, about the glue. I swear sometimes they do make it difficult. The kinder teachers are asking for 8 pack of non washable crayons.  It took me a minute to find them. I do not mind the stuff and usually I restock during Christmas. I know little kids go through this stuff like crazy!   (it is community)

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

For dd its

one school box

six 24 pack crayons

2 8pk washable markers

1 box ziplock baggies

Kindermat

1 4ct box play doh

2 lg boxes of kleenex

8 glue sticks

1-8oz elmers glue (did you know they dont even have that here? you can get 7 oz or 12 oz. no 8oz)

this is all for preK. We have most of it plus extras of everything just in case the teacher needs more.

casah4
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I won't buy any of the cute things because it's all communal.  I don't have a problem with communal supplies, but I don't want my DD to be disappointed when she sees someone else get the puppy notebook she was so hoping to get. All the folders, composition books, and notebooks I buy are plain colors and I let her pick out a cute binder to put her agenda in, a cute pencil pouch to go in it, and cute pencils/pens, since those are for her own personal use.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Well teaher is getting some 7 oz bottles lol. I dont mind the community supplies. That is what I figure is going on here. I got some extras just in case. The Rose Art crayons were $.37 each so I grabbed a bunch of them. They are in PreK. They wont know the difference lol

Quoting vetNmommy:

lol, about the glue. I swear sometimes they do make it difficult. The kinder teachers are asking for 8 pack of non washable crayons.  It took me a minute to find them. I do not mind the stuff and usually I restock during Christmas. I know little kids go through this stuff like crazy!   (it is community)

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

For dd its

one school box

six 24 pack crayons

2 8pk washable markers

1 box ziplock baggies

Kindermat

1 4ct box play doh

2 lg boxes of kleenex

8 glue sticks

happymama2D
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:44 PM
My son is going into First grade and he was able to pick out notebooks in the design he wanted. He got an NFL one, a Yankees one and some sort of design. :)
It was cute for him so I understand where you're coming from!
(They were 3x as much as the plain ones of course!)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:48 PM
My kids are in private school so there is none of this "you cant have nice things because of the poor people bullshit". Change schools or just ignore the request list and buy the cute things!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:52 PM
My sons list for K.

4boxes crayola crayons
1 box crayola washable markers
2 large(fat) pencils.
6glue sticks
1 box of gallon size ziploc bags
1box quart size ziploc bags with the white area to write on.
A paint shirt
Book bags
3 folders 1blue, 1 red, 1of Chioce
Wet wipes
Cleaning wipes clorox or lysol.
1head phones in a ziplock bag.
2 rolls of paper towels
2 boxes of tissues
Thats all i can think of and this is for a private school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)