Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GI Bill

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:57 PM
  • 41 Replies

I know this isn't a confession or drama.. but this forum gets the most traffic and I'm trying to find information out for my brother. 

He has been getting ready to go to college. He was under the assumption that the GI bill would cover 100% of tuition and fees, however the VA guy at the college is telling him that, no they do not cover 100% and that he will have to set up payment plans for housing saying that housing is not covered in the GI bill. 

My brother is not doing well emotionally since he came back from Afghanistan.  His knees are now shot (he is 23, and walks around like a 60 yr old man)  he was told that since they cannot prove that the damage to his knees were done during service that he won't receive any  help for it.  (he enlisted when he was 17, and was in perfect health before he signed up). 

He seems so frustrated that I'm afraid he just might give up on school.   He is very closed off emotionally.  I really worry about his mental state.  He really doesn't want to talk about what happened while he was over there.. I'm so worried about him.  And he has spent so much time on the phone trying to get help and keeps getting the run around.. he just seems so defeated.  I was going to talk to my husband and my other brother about helping out with housing payments so that he can go to school... but I know that my brother is very proud and does not feel right about accepting "charity" (I dont' view us helping him as charity though.. he has always been there to help us or anyone out when they ask, to me it would be a way to pay him back for all his help).

So as far as the GI bill goes... whats the true story, does it not cover all of the college fees, only up to a set amount, or does something sound off?  Also, I am wondering... shoudln't he have someone he can talk to within the military, someone who can help him with his physical and mental situation? 

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM

If I'm not mistaken he has to be active Duty to get 100% paid. That's what my husband said.

team_porculoon
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM

It really depends on what the college is, how he's going to school, WHICH GI Bill he has...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
he has the post 9/11 gi bill right? they cover everything and I get a monthly allowance. they even give up to 1k a year for books/supplies. he has to be full time to get the full benefits. if he does go part time they'll adjust the pay.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this
also, he can go to the VA for his mental/physical issues.
daughteroftruth
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

he has the post 9/11 gi bill right? they cover everything and I get a monthly allowance. they even give up to 1k a year for books/supplies. he has to be full time to get the full benefits. if he does go part time they'll adjust the pay.

Yes, he is post 9/11.  He was in the marines for 4 yrs i think.  They said he would get only 750 for books. he is signed up for 18 credits this upcoming semester. 

Do you know about housing?

DivaKim
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
It all depends on which campaign his gi bill falls under. He needs to apply for financial aid as well. Www.fafsa.gov immediately as well. After he has completed the online forms call and make an appointment with the school financial aid office. My son receives pell and gi bill. He lives off the gi bill while pell pays for school. Good luck

The knee problems should be looked at through the va docs. If it is determined that it happened while active duty he may qualify for additional va benefits.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM
that's what the monthly allowance is for. depending where the school is decides on how much per month he will get. there's a calculator online you can use to see how much.

I will say, if this is his first time using it it'll take a while to kick in. he'll get all of the back pay, but it could be a few months. my first time took 4 months to get paid.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, he is post 9/11.  He was in the marines for 4 yrs i think.  They said he would get only 750 for books. he is signed up for 18 credits this upcoming semester. 

MissTuree
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

If he gets the Post 9/11 GI Bill, (which he qualifies for as long as he did over a year in the military and was honorably discharged) than they cover 100% of instate tuition. Up to a certain capped amount per state. If he is trying to go to some fancy, private school than it may exceed the states cap. Is this the case with him? Also, under the Post 9/11 GI Bill he gets a monthly housing allowance. The next thing is that he must take in class classes not 100% online. 

As far as the medical concerns now that he is out there is no going onto base to have someone walk you through it all. And there is A LOT of run around. See if he'd be interested in joining the local VFW, there's usually veterans there that are happy to help service members like your brother dig through the red tape and get him the help he needs. 

MissTuree
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like he is filed under the wrong chapter. Tell him he needs to look at his paperwork and ensure he is filed under the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Also, if he is having problems taking 18 credits isn't advisable.....

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting Anonymous:

daughteroftruth
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

also, he can go to the VA for his mental/physical issues.

=/  They told him that there was nothing wrong with his knees.  I know he isn't faking in because his knees swell up. He also has issues with his shoulder, and one va doc said that he has adheasions in his shoulder, and then the next time he went, they told him, nope, every things fine.. yet he has limited movement and his hand goes numb.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)